Ideal responce 80 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a response 80 boiler, that makes a clicking noise stoping the gas from igniting, I have so far followed had three corgi guy's out they have followed the service manual by:

replacing gas valve solinoids
replacing gas valve
replacing Fan assembly
replace fan speed control board

The gas valve doesn't seem to open even though it is getting 240v and gas.

Any ideas? Four weeks now without hot water!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Have any done the first thing to do which is see if the gas valve is opening?

Or the ignition unit producing a spark?

Or removed the ignition electrode to see if its wet! If it is then its new boiler time!

Tony

- Have checked mains voltage at spark generator.
- mains leads are correctly fitted.
- there is evidence of the spark tracking externally to the burner

Sponsored Links
Dont understand 'tracking externally'! The only evidence of a spark should be at the electrode tip, anywhere else and it is shorting to earth therefore not igniting the gas!

kilbs said:
- there is evidence of the spark tracking externally to the burner

Its not much good checking mains voltage at input to EHT generator. Its the 12 kV output that needs to be checked. ( you dont do that with a cheap meter either! )

If its really tracking externally to the combustion chamber then it would normally be visible as sparking.

A piece of car ignition cable could be used for testing/temp repair purposes.

In any case it would be usual to remove the ignition electrodes to see if they are sparking as well as checking for water leaks ( a VERY common problem on your boiler! )

Tony

sorry term from the fault finding (spark generation & Ignition) in the manual. The question in it the asks; is there evidence of the spark "tracking" (jumping across electrodes or leads) externally to the burner.
The plumber ticked the box. (yes) on the flow diagram.

I have no idea to be honest, in desperation I have just been following the fault finding in the back of the service manual because the gas engineer told me he has tried everything?

If HT is geting to the electrodes but the boiler still fails to light - has anyone actually CHECKED that the electrodes are dry?
Probably the commonest problem with Responses is broken heat exchangers, usually resulting in water running out of the bottom of the boiler. But a less serious (though equally fatal!) leak just makes the electrodes wet and grounds the HT. b No spark = no ignition. Or in some cases, a loud bang when gas builds up and THEN a spark happens.

If HT is NOT happening (DON't kill yourself finding out!), the TWO components that tend to fail are the ignition unit and the mains interference suppression filter immediately next to it.

But why not get an engineer who knows what they're doing? It's going to be cheaper in the end.

thanks for the responses, i have tried nearly 15 different local corgi registered plumbers of which 7 didn't call back 6 were to busy.
Eventually had one company out and they couldn't work with ideal boilers so i was left with the company who has been out three times now but still cant find the fault.

Thinking of paying for a guaranteed repair with british gas but they require a 12 month contract however im moving house so would be waisting money, I can't exchange my house until its been serviced.

regards,

steve

I really dont often say this as I like repairing boilers

but get rid of it, its a demon of a boiler that should have been strangled at birth

its the hitler of boilers

BTW did anyone strip the burner out? cos if the heat exchanger is gone (and they go more readily than jordan on oysters) then the boiler is never going to fire

still get rid of it

kilbs said:
Thinking of paying for a guaranteed repair with british gas but they require a 12 month contract however im moving house so would be waisting money, I can't exchange my house until its been serviced.

As far as I know they still don't yet Steve, ask for a fixed price breakdown 144 inc vat 1 part and labour. Apart from the spark generators which do about 6 years suspect blocked fins on the heat exchanger restricting the air and preventing ignition.

kilbs said:
thanks for the responses, i have tried nearly 15 different local corgi registered plumbers of which 7 didn't call back 6 were to busy.
steve

Well you have not yet called me!

However we do charge to diagnose the fault even if its a water leak which renders the boiler uneconomical to repair. However thats at a fixed price however long that may take. Target time 35 minutes.

Are you in Tilehill?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back