IKEA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been for a look round at Ikea today and came away empty handed as I have never seen such crap furniture. :(

The store was quite busy and I really can't see the attraction and would not like to have most of their goods in my house!

Does anyone agree or am I a snob?

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Its advertising and selling at its best, make the name attractive to the slaves to fashion and aim it at those with more money than sense and they'll blindly buy without looking at the quality.

Went for the first time about 3 years ago....struggled to find a parking space,went in with the missus and have never seen so much crap in my life ..some of the furniture looked like it was from a new age travellers house painted while on lsd......but its a big company with big profits so it does appeal to some

Sponsored Links
Been a couple of times, the meatballs in the restaurant were fantastic.

Got some loverly curtains and curtain poles. :LOL:

I have been for a look round at Ikea today and came away empty handed as I have never seen such crap furniture. :(

The store was quite busy and I really can't see the attraction and would not like to have most of their goods in my house!

They are a different type of people who shop there who travel economy class.

Been to the one in Bristol 5 times ('Er Indoors :rolleyes: ). Only got parked on 2 of those visits.

I would think that there are only about 1 per cent of the items there that I would look at twice. As for buying anything, not sure.

My brother's got a couple of there Ektorp sofas, which seem well made, and a sensible traditional type design. Most of the other stuff is WEIRD. Seems to be designed for the continental metrosexual market.

The place is always mad busy though. Seems you can fool some of the people, all of the time: if its cheap enough.

My Mrs loves it, I hate the place. She thinks i've nothing better to do than build flat packs up. I must admit though, I've seen worse stuff and the meatballs are carp Johnmelad502 nearly as bad as your jokes ;)

My Mrs loves it, I hate the place. She thinks i've nothing better to do than build flat packs up. I must admit though, I've seen worse stuff and the meatballs are carp Johnmelad502 nearly as bad as your jokes ;)

You are off of my invite lad. :evil: :LOL:

I like Ikea.

I've never understood the attraction of shop restaurants/cafes though. I mean they're everywhere now. You can get your breakfast in Morrisons, a snack in Sainsbury's, your lunch in B&Q (well maybe not!), a tea break in Tesco's and your dinner at Ikea.

As I said, I like Ikea but I want to go there, get what I want/need and go.

The quality of some items isn't too bad.

We've a few wardrobes that are good quality and have stood the test of time.

a 10 year old stainless steel cutlery set that is still as good as the day we bought it and I quite like some of the glassware they have on offer.

As you say though, some of the things they sell are just plain weird!

They sell too many different wierd and wonderful things to just write it all off as crap. Granted, loads of cheap MFC stuff but every department's got something handy for the home or workshop. The kitchen section is a good place to pick up fixings and cabinetware. You do need to spend time in there having a good nose about otherwise you miss stuff.

I bought a tall bookcase about 9 years ago, solid timber (dark stained softwood) with very well hidden machine joints. Got all my records stored in it and it's rigid. Was only about £60 but dont think they stock it anymore.

Magnetic knife rack for the kitchen was about a fiver, handy in the shed above the bench.

The blue shopping bags are useful too (like mini versions of the bulk bags that aggregates are delivered in) 50p each.

I once read an article about some journalist's experiences at IKEA and he was right when he said that only IKEA could turn a well-meaning liberal into a foul mouthed racist in 5 minutes flat. Every trip I've ever made there I've found myself muttering "F*king Swedes...." as I search in vain for the way out.
When the branch in Croydon opened they used to force you to walk past every piece of furniture on sale to get to the checkouts. It was a bit like a maze. At least there are shortcuts now and even a few staff on the floor - another innovation!
I always feel it's taken over as the Habitat of the noughties so it's cheap and cheerful, but don't expect to buy any family heirlooms there. To me it's a fine example of north-European conformity that doesn't appeal to a large segment of the English. Center Parcs is another one. I'd rather eat my own head than go back there. I suppose that after queuing for hours people have to convince themselves they're having a great time, even if they only have 2 square feet of floorspace each :rolleyes:

Yes you are mr winterbottom... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back