Illegal cabling(?) and strange box

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just had some fitted furniture ripped out from a bedroom, this lot appeared! I'm assuming it is illegal on at least a couple of counts - cables not running in the correct locations and the junction box not normally being accessible. Am I correct, and does this lot need replacing?

And what's this? I found it under the floor of the same bedroom (ground floor - it's a bungalow). At first I thought it must be an original installation from when the house was first built (1920-1930) and now disconnected, as it is nowhere near the present CU and meter and looks ancient. However, holding a Fluke VoltAlert next to the metal box and next to one of the cables, it lights up suggesting the unit is still live.

The cables enter the metal conduit shown, which appears to head towards the back of the house and not the meter and CU, although it could turn a corner and head over that way. The metal conduit looks similar to that which carried the cables to the meter, shown here:

I may be wrong, but it looks like the metal conduit provides the earth connection. If so, and this is the same conduit that appears under the bedroom floor, I can't see any obvious earth connection at that end.
Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
Definitely needs a full inspection and most likely a rewire. Cables not in safe zones for a start.

There may a Ground Rod making it a TT but only a full inspection will answer that.

What does the meter / fuse box area look like ? ( assuming the bodger included a fuse box )

Your first pic looks maybe like two bedside sockets spurred of the ring unfused, if indeed it is a ring going through that round jb.

Anyway, an electrician can sort the lot. It will just cost you some money and then it will be right.

Slightly OT, is this a house you have just bought? If so, did you/seller have an EICR done?

And what's this? I found it under the floor of the same bedroom (ground floor - it's a bungalow). At first I thought it must be an original installation from when the house was first built (1920-1930) and now disconnected, as it is nowhere near the present CU and meter and looks ancient. However, holding a Fluke VoltAlert next to the metal box and next to one of the cables, it lights up suggesting the unit is still live. ..... The cables enter the metal conduit shown, which appears to head towards the back of the house and not the meter and CU, although it could turn a corner and head over that way.
Err... you have found where the supply enters the property, and where the main service fuse is?

Sponsored Links
Pictures 2&3 appear to be the cutout and main supply into your house :eek:

Thank you all for your very quick and helpful responses.

Bernardgreen, here is a picture of the meter and consumer unit:

The CU was put in about ten years ago when we moved in, and some remedial rewiring was done. Obviously, the check wasn't as thorough as I had assumed.

Simon35, we moved in about ten years ago and we had an inspection done (can't remember details now). Following that, the gentleman who did the remedial wiring and CU installation was NICEIC (I think) registered, although I'm now a little doubtful about his work.

ban-all-sheds, yes I was assuming the main service fuse was adjacent to the meter in the photo above. If this 'strange box' is in fact the main service fuse, shouldn't it be more easily accessible without having to remove floorboards? If, as I hope is the case, everything before and including the meter is the responsibility of the electricity provider, should I ask them to re-site the service fuse? At the same time, should they ensure that a suitable earth is provided?

Dextraneous, thank you for your recommendation. An electrician who was recommended to me has asked me to call him on Wednesday. If he cannot come soon, I'll get in touch with your recommendation.

Pictures 2&3 appear to be the cutout and main supply into your house :eek:

Thanks. Your post arrived whilst I was writing my previous post. If this is a cutout, shouldn't there be some sort of switch and shouldn't it be easily accessible. It has been hiding under the bedroom floor for as long as we have been here. Also, it appears to have dropped off the wooden backing plate.

It has been hiding under the bedroom floor for as long as we have been here. Also, it appears to have dropped off the wooden backing plate.

You need to call the DNO, not an electrician, and get it inspected by them. They should come out and look at it for free.

It also looks like fabric covered cable, which is surely ancient and should be replaced!

It has been hiding under the bedroom floor for as long as we have been here. Also, it appears to have dropped off the wooden backing plate.

You need to call the DNO, not an electrician, and get it inspected by them. They should come out and look at it for free.

It also looks like fabric covered cable, which is surely ancient and should be replaced!

I would call both, one for the service supply and one for the house wiring.

Very unsavoury.
How far away is the mystery box from the consumer unit (aka fuseboard)?

It LOOKS like the supply comes in the bottom, then there maybe just a junction or perhaps fuses in that box.

It is hard to know without seeing the geography of the house, but it does appear to be the incoming power, I would like to bet that there is a fused neutral behind that wing nut-fixed plate. But do not touch it.

The fabric-covered tails that go into that conduit may be fragile.

If it is the same metal conduit that then appears at the consumer unit (with an earth clamp on the end) then I would be very concerned as the conduit appears to be the main earth for the property, but I can see no earth at the supply end :eek:
That is a real safety issue, as you may just be relying on the water/gas pipework to provide the main earth, and that is not allowed!

You probably need an electrician and the DNO to sort it all for you.

EDIT The consumer unit looks reasonably new, is it? If so, do you have the Installation Certificate for when it was put in?

There will ( should ) be a main fuse in the cut out on the meter board.

BUT there may not be a fuse in the box under the floor in which case the fabric cables in the conduit from there to the cut out on the meter board are not protected.

That fabric cable can be OK provided it is not disturbed and the fabric remains intact. But any damage or damp could being the conduit's potential and thus the potential on the entire "earth" in the house to a hazardous voltage.

DNO as soon as possible.

I'm very grateful for all your advice.

Aragorn84, BernardGreen and Simon35, I shall call Electricity North West right away.

Taylortwocities, the consumer unit is over 30ft (two rooms and a hall) from the 'mystery box'. Needless to say, I shall not be touching it! Yes, the CU was put in about ten years ago when we first moved in. I'm sure we must have a certificate relating to the work that was done at that time.

Of course, I'll post back on here when anything happens.

I telephoned the DNO and left a message (isn't that always the case these days?). Someone did call me back after half-an-hour, though. Initially, he assured me that this was not their concern, being inside the house, and that I should call an independent electrician!

I persisted, though, explaining that I thought everything including and 'before' the meter would be something they could take responsibility for. (Perhaps I'm wrong there).

He then decided to have a look on one of their maps and eventually established which house we live in. With further explanations from myself, he is now aware exactly where the mains comes into the house (where the 'mystery box' is). He asked me to look at the cables which some of you thought looked like fabric-covered, but which look like they might not be. In fact, underneath years of grime, it looks as if one is red and the other black, which are the same colours at the other end of the conduit next to the meter and CU. I still can't see any earth connection to the conduit at the other end, though. He also asked if I would forward the photos that I posted on this site, which I have now done.

Anyway, he has promised me that someone will come out to have a look today before 8pm. Good news.

On the other hand, I'm not sure now what responsibility lies with the DNO and, for that matter, what I am likely to end up paying for!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back