I'm all for disability rights but....

Sponsored Links
So the story behind the story is that she deliberately chose not to book an accessibility room and ended in a non-accessibility room.

Sounds like she made a choice. She could have phoned/contacted them to check or simply ask for a swap prior to turning up.

To be fair to those with protected characteristics, are they obliged to inform the 'accomodation' that they have a protected characteristic.
For sure, in the case of disability, it sounds sensible, but why should it be necessary?
If I were, black, white, Jewish, homosexual, transgender, etc, I wouldn't be expected to offer that information on reserving the booking.
Why should disabled people be expected to behave differently?
When I book a plane ticket, I'm asked if I'm vegetarian, or if I have any special needs. Why can't hotels do the same. Surely it should be standard practice in the hospitality industry to ask such questions, and not assume that everyone has no special needs.
Let's put the foot in the other shoe.

Sponsored Links
good grief...

You do understand that these are entirely different thing in the Equalities Act?

Its a bit difficult to ask someone to make reasonable adjustments if you haven't told them what reasonable adjustments you need.

btw if you go to their website, you will see they do indeed do this, when you tick that you require a lift:

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 07.12.21.png

Been chatting with my wife about this, (she is disabled), and she tells me every time she has booked a stay in a hotel, Including Premier and Travel Lodge), they have always asked if any of the party have any disabilities or special needs. We have always had ground floor accommodation.
If they didn't ask this woman, then surely she is capable of using a bit of common sense and saying you needed G/F accommodation?

Smacks to me of someone setting out to create a story.
Or pointing out something that may be wrong?

Plenty of 'stories' like that out there...

Would you have objected to other people 'creating stories' as to the problems some people face in society?

Such as the discrimination against women or people of a certain race?

Or as she was pointing out in her interview, getting hassle when trying to do what most of us take for granted?

Been chatting with my wife about this, (she is disabled), and she tells me every time she has booked a stay in a hotel, Including Premier and Travel Lodge), they have always asked if any of the party have any disabilities or special needs. We have always had ground floor accommodation.
If they didn't ask this woman, then surely she is capable of using a bit of common sense and saying you needed G/F accommodation?
I guess then your disabled wife has never met with incompetence/inadequate facilities when trying to access places you have booked?

Or transport options you might like to take?

We have always had ground floor accommodation.
Me too. You need to ask.

Once you tell them they will ask if you need help to evacuate in the case of fire. For example, if you are deaf, they will let themselves in to alert you.

In fact, week or two ago, we were in Tamworth Travelodge on the M42 and the fire alarm went off at 05:00. Me and Mrs S were the only ones to go to reception. It turned out it was someone showering with the bathroom door open. There is a notice in the bathroom, but they could make them more noticable.

I asked number two son why the heck he didn't get out, he just said if it was a genuine alert, the sounder would have continued. I wouldn't trust that!

good grief...

You do understand that these are entirely different thing in the Equalities Act?

Its a bit difficult to ask someone to make reasonable adjustments if you haven't told them what reasonable adjustments you need.

btw if you go to their website, you will see they do indeed do this, when you tick that you require a lift:

View attachment 325740
There is no oblighation on a disabled person to ensure the facilities are accessible.
There is an obligation for the service provider to ensure the accomodation is accessible.
They (the challises) explained in the article that they preferred a satndard room. I suspect they checked that there was a lift.
It was broke, and the hotel was unable to accomodate them due to their disability.
Therefore they failed to act within the Equalities Act, and they failed to honour the booking.
Slam dunk!

It was her own fault for booking a standard room instead of a wheelchair accessible one on the ground floor.

As she is in a wheelchair, it is sensible to ask for a ground floor room as you're not allowed to use a lift in the event of a fire anyway.

Sponsored Links
Back