I'm Hungry Again

Sponsored Links
And Marmite is the devils food ( if there was one of course :evil: ).
Nasty nasty rank putrid stuff.

Not only that, burgers and sausages are filled with gristle and 'face meat'. You'd NEVER eat them if you saw what went into them. I prefer Quorn.

I have and still do occasionally but when I'm hungry I'm hungry! :LOL:

Make my own burgers.
Sauasages from a local butchers and not the nasty stuff you indicate.

Sponsored Links
They can still contain meats you don't expect, or would be surprised were there.

When a processed meat product is labelled as "X % meat", that does not have to be lean, or what you or I may think of as "meat".

They can contain:

Fat
Gristle
Connective tissue
Tendon
Skin
Cheek

The following were allowed when I was working as a food scientist, but current regs (as I read them) are unclear:

Bone
Udder
Snout
Ear
Tail

For meat products,

fat limits are 30% for pork and 25% for beef.

connective tissue limits are 25% for both.

Added water need only be declared when above 10%. In other words, your meat may contain 10% water by weight but it need not be declared on the label.

Sausages only need to contain 32% meat as a legal minimum unless the product has "pork" in the name, in which case it rises to 42%.

Burgers must have 67% meat content, unless chicken, in which case it falls to 55%, or economy in which case it falls again to 50%.

Then consider that both burgers and sausages have rusk in them to bulk them out.

Pies and sausage rolls are even worse.

What is the minimum meat content for an uncooked Potato and Meat Pie?

Unless my memory fails me, it's around 8%.... :eek:

So, do the maths!

How much lean meat would a beef sausage contain?

It need only have 32% meat content, one quarter of that could be fat, another quarter connective tissue. Then 10% of the weight of the sausage could be water.

Oh and don't forget the rusk!

I know that, why I get mine made by an award winning butchers.

Not so much dire stuff in them :D

You can't beat a MacDonalds burger.

Well, you can, but you won't get it any flatter! :LOL:

McDonalds hamburgers - cows t*ts, lips and ars*holes... ahh, I'm loving it.

Sponsored Links
Back