Immersion heater help

There are a few things I notice from your photo and the first is particularly worrying.

1. The lid appears to be missing from the immersion heater which means live wires are exposed. :eek:

View attachment 331513

2. As @Bod ... there doesn't seem to be a vent. That's nothing to do with the electricity consumption, more of a plumbing issue to do with venting air bubbles from the water before it gets to the taps.

Cylinder insulation looks OK but no insulation on the hot pipes :rolleyes:
Oh god! That doesn’t sounds right…. I’m guessing I need someone in to have a look asap then? Is it a plumber or an electrician?!

Sponsored Links
You need to know your consumption in kwh - costs vary too much. The only way to make comparisons is using kwh consumption

How big is the flat and how many people live in it?
So to do that do I just keep an eye on the meter numbers? We are on 2 tariffs - day and night charges but I think that’s not the right one for us as we actually use most energy in the day *sigh*

Sponsored Links
Might be, if you turn the switch marked Panel Heater off and it doesn't work you will know.

If it is controlling the heater in the bedroom then I guess the timeswitch also marked Panel Heater should allow you to program its on/off times.

Nicky

I would consider (if possible) investing in a good plumber & a new unvented hot water cylinder.

This will heat up your water and keep it hot more economically. It will eradicate the poorly fitted noisy pump. Give you great showers and water pressure.
A good plumber will size the cylinder to the cupboard to incorporate that all the pipework and valves are maintainable and well insulated (saving more energy)

Then you may be advised to get a good electrician who can wire a programmer that'll heat up your water in non peak times (Dead of night) and while he is there advise you on the electrics and hesting on the rest of the flat.

You have made a big investment with this flat. Do your research in finding a good plumber who is registered to fit unvented cylinders and a good registered electrician.

Stay clear of checkatrade and All their competition.

Friends & family recommendation is good but not full proof.

Google Reviews can be good but you need to read and work out the fake from the real.

Sponsored Links
Back