Immersion heater - timer wiring

Sponsored Links
In that case what do the manufacturers instruction say regarding providing a means of isolation.
Does it say you have to utilise a 13Amp Fused Connection unit?
A 20Amp Dual Pole Switch or nothing?
What does it say about cable size and MCB rating?
And is the immersion on its own circuit?

If it states '13A' on the timer then it is not suitable for an immersion heater.
I think you're wrong here. I don't actually recall having seen an 'Immersion Heater Timers' rated at anything other than 13A. The Timeguard ones certainly all are - like this one, for example.

I suspect the only reason we run them off 16A MCBs is that you'd struggle to find a 13A one!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
If it states '13A' on the timer then it is not suitable for an immersion heater.
It does, and the maker says it is.
Do we know that it actually is intended for immersions?

In any case, 13A accessories are not suitable for a 16A circuit.

If it does not state 'immersion heater timer" on the pack then it is not suitable for an immersion heater.
See the 3rd page.
I see no current ratings on the page - only that they are immersion heater timeswitches or am I missing your point?

I think you're wrong here. I don't actually recall having seen an 'Immersion Heater Timers' rated at anything other than 13A. The Timeguard ones certainly all are - like this one, for example
As you say the timeguard ones are.
I would never buy/fit one that did not state 16A.

See my previous link and -
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...743510&ei=bDlhT7uaLIP_4gbIt9zEDg&ved=0CAkQrRI

I suspect the only reason we run them off 16A MCBs is that you'd struggle to find a 13A one!
Well, it is frequently stated that 13A fuses do not like immersion heaters and as the MCB is 16A the accessory should be as well.

In any case, 13A accessories are not suitable for a 16A circuit.
Like 13A accessories are not suitable for use on a 32A radial or ring final circuit?
Well, no. I thought '13A' sockets were rated at 20A - still lower than 32 I admit

However, the current through an immersion timer is at maximum when on and may exceed 13A.
As said, 13A fuses do not like immersion heaters so...

Perhaps that is why there are so many burned timers.

am I missing your point?
Well - you tell me.

My point is that the actual timer the OP has is the one on that page of the manufacturer's catalogue where it is described as an immersion heater timer...

And on the back of it it says "13A"...

to be honest in my absolutely limited experience, I can't understand why something needs to be so complicated. Take a switch, replace it with an automated switch. Surely it should be a straight swap, except that the component now automates what was previously being turned on and off by hand.

It isn't complicated.

The questions about whether the installation instructions say you should have a 13A fuse before it, or a means of isolation, are very simple.

As you say the timeguard ones are.
I would never buy/fit one that did not state 16A. See my previous link and -....
The two listings you've linked to certainly do say 16A. However, it's not just Timeguard ones that are 13A - all but one of the immersion timers listed by TLC are 13A - even if that is not ideal.

Well, it is frequently stated that 13A fuses do not like immersion heaters.
I have heard that said. Does that mean that they don't like 3kw kettles etc., either?

Kind Regards, John.

Depends how you define "20A".

For a single socket it's 20A on the cable, with 14A through the test plug, and 6A balance on the cable.

Depends how you define "20A". For a single socket it's 20A on the cable, with 14A through the test plug, and 6A balance on the cable.
I thought we were talking about 'ratings' - and, although there has been a lot of discussion about the 'rating' of double sockets, I presume that you won't find a single one which has a stated 'rating' of more than 13A.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back