Impact driver bits...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well bought a 18V Makita impact driver after much deliberation and wow these things are friggin awesome!:cool:

After some abuse I seem to have disintegrated a few of my nice screw driver bits :( I understand the Wera bi-torsion bits are the dogs danglies however I'm a little worried that if these get knackered I'm going to have to pay a fortune to replace them!

I was wondering if I bought those bulk titanium/Gold plated bits it may be more worthwhile in the long run? Dewalt do a pack of like 25 for £6 or something!

What you guys using?

Sponsored Links
Really? I was re-hanging a couple of doors and used my cordless 18v Makita and it was struggling to screw into the solid fire doors. The Impact driver did it with no fuss... be it after breaking a pozi bit!

Well, I use the Bosch 10.8v Li-Ion screwdriver which has a high torque - and clutch. :cool:

But your fire door is only [soft] hardwood, so I don't know why an 18v could not cope. I'd always pilot drill first for door furniture though, and not use an impact

I'm sure Dr Drivel will be along soon, but I maintain that impacts are not required for most screw driving and impact only necessary for large timber first fix work. They are good, but in the right situations

When I first got an impact, I wore a few expensive bits and screws before reaching this conclusion. There is no advantage with impacts and normal screwdriving

Sponsored Links
I use the wera bi-torsion bits, yes they are expensive, but i spent as much buying cheap alternatives first i.e. silverline rubbish.

Floored a bedroom with ply using 3 inch screws, one wera bit has got through the lot, it looks slightly tatty but still ok.

I have a Wera diamond coated pozi bit from Screwfix (not sure if it was Bi-Torsion when I purchased it - like they are now), but I've used the same pozi bit for about 5 years and it really lasts. I now really needs replacing, but I'd only use these now. It is amazing how well they do last and work. I couldn't praise them enough. I've used the same bit for numerous major DIY projects and for work on a weekly basis over this time.
I did buy one of each size, but just use the same pozi bit for all size screws and have since lost the others.

i have both an impact driver and a high torque cordless driver.

the impact driver is awesome but does eat bits.

it's a case of horses for courses.

i always grab the 'noisy one' when dealing with larger screws. ;)

When laying some ply down for floor tiles I used my normal high torque drill to drive in the screws and they were taking ages to do. I switched to my impact drill and they were being banged in at twice the speed, the fact they have a higher RPM without the gearing issue you will get from a regular drill/driver. Also I didn't bother with the Wera bits, just bought a big pack of PZ2 bits instead for about a fiver, does the job nicely and last quite long.

The Wera bits are well worth it. After destroying about 20 pozi bits, from various sets I shelled out the £25 for the impact kit and haven't had any problems since. After two months I'm still on the same bit!

I was previously shattering the magnetic bit holders, but the Wera one seems to be holding up well.

Hi all,
First post so i hope i don't tread on anyones toes :D
I have had the same problem with bits shattering constantly :cry:
Until i found these,

work.jpg

Around £3.00 each.

I have been using the same one nearly every day for a few months now and its fantastic.
Apparently the thinner middle section is designed to flex so as to absorb the high impact.
Seems to work ;)

As i say its my first post and i dont wish to tread on any toes but i find impact drivers better driving screws than drill drivers
I find they are much quicker

As to driving big screws or bolts like the timber fix landscape screws, they don't seem to have as much torque as the 18v drill set on low speed.

They are also great for drilling holes using good quality drill bits like the Trend snappy range

ive used the wera ones and they shatter fairly easily as well. the bosch ones arent to bad.

I pick the impact driver for screws nearly all the time.
Quicker, easier, lighter...

I use various bits, forget silverline/unbranded. Wera bits seem to be the best of the bunch. Not bothered with the diamond ones.
Screwdriver bits are consumables imo, so you expect to break a few now and again.

well thats a first the actual inside of the holder shattered today!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back