indesit d/washer tripping house breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My indesit d41 keeps tripping the rcd at the fuse board, after it has been running for awhile. it will run ok after it has cooled down& complete the cycle. Would this be an element/Thermostat fault?

Sponsored Links
might be a water leak. lots of RCD trips come from "watery" appliances.

might be chafed wires

if it was the element I would have expected it to happen during the heating cycle.

start with the easiest (though unlikely) cause and examine the flex, plug and socket for damage

then isolate from electric supply and visually inspect for signs of water leak or chafed cables inside. You might be lucky and spot something obvious.

I am not an appliance repairman.

JohnD have checked the insides of dishwasher no obvious problems but base of unit looks as if stalagmites are growing (caused by condensation?) Also the black insulation has melted where outlet/inlet pipes have been against it, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
stalagmites most likely limescale from old leaks

the tarry black sound-deadening insulation tends to soften and stick to pipes or anything pressed against it so not necessarily a fault

on mine there are not many electrical connections underneath, though they are fairly easy to see (it's mostly inside the door, which you can release with the small screws holding the stainless inner door to the outer door edge). The thin wires of the loom at the bottom of the door bend every time the door opens, so look for any cracked or chafed.

but with a bit of luck an appliances expert will be along in a minute who will have more experience than me.

You have inspected the flex, haven't you?

You can push it over onto its back and look for the source of leaks (I would have thought round the pump, which is a common replacable part)

JohnD thanks for your help, still unable to find any leaks etc. Will see if fault reoccurs (hasn't yet after 3 goes)
Cheers Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back