Input or Output Wattage

My point is this: if you say it's something other than 'it's to protect the wire' I can't see why a 13 Amp fuse wouldn't suffice in every case?
So if I said "it's to protect the internals of the appliance" you'd say that a 13A fuse would always be OK for that?

How bizarre.

Sponsored Links
The insulation on flexible cable rated at 3 amps safe carrying current started to melt when the flex was tested at 9 amps. ( Quality assurance testing of materials for a new product )
That's an overload situation, not a fault.

With a 13 amp fuse, depending on its current / time rating, a short in the flex could have as much a 6 Kw of power "liberated" at the short circuit ( fuse carries 26 amps for a short while before melting ).
For how long?

Never mind power - what's the let-through energy of the fuse?

Have you done the calculations to show that the energy would be sufficient to set fire to the cable?

The insulation on flexible cable rated at 3 amps safe carrying current started to melt when the flex was tested at 9 amps. ...
That's an overload situation, not a fault.
We've been through this one several times. Since BS7671 seems only to consider 'bolted faults' ('dead shorts') you are right in terms of BS7671-speak. However, what I have suggested (and I think Bernard agrees) is that there could be situations in which an appliance normally drawing <3A could draw 9A (or whatever) under certain 'fault' (in everyday sense) conditions, rather than a 'bolted short' current. Whether one calls that a 'fault situation' or an 'overload' one is a matter of semantics and definitions - but the important thing is that, if it happens, it can result in much increased currents, but currents far less than would be seen in a BS7671 'fault' situation.

You, and others, may argue that what I'm describing is very unlikely to occur - and you might be right. However, unless you can think of some problem of using a 1A or 3A fuse when such is adequate for the load, is not a 'just in case' (even if of something very unlikely) approach reasonable and prudent?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back