Inset gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a recommended brand of inset gas fire, would prefer log effect and glass front. So many brands to chose from it gets confusing...

Sponsored Links
Well depends on the size of insert you want and the output required?
And the period of warranty, as they can range between 1 and 7 years.

I'm not looking for more than approx 4kw. I'd like it to be high efficiency, glass front? I'd like something that has the look of a wood burner. TBH if I don't see something I like, I'd start looking at actual wood burners. The previous owners had a gas fire, but for some reason swapped it for an electric fire!? So there must be a flue liner in there, maybe suitable for a wood burner.

Sponsored Links
I'm not looking for more than approx 4kw. I'd like it to be high efficiency, glass front? I'd like something that has the look of a wood burner. TBH if I don't see something I like, I'd start looking at actual wood burners. The previous owners had a gas fire, but for some reason swapped it for an electric fire!? So there must be a flue liner in there, maybe suitable for a wood burner.
EDITED
TBH fires are much of a muchness. Avoid Focal Point (B&Q) & their derivatives, such as EKO. If made in Christchurch, it will be FP.
The flue liner will not be suitable for solid fuel, and their may not be one, as you do NOT normally NEED a liner for a gas fire. It is standard practice to replace liners with a new fire, (if one is require) as the installer has to know it will last the lifetime of the new appliance (which is normally impossible).
IMO opinion solid fuel is over rated. You can't come in from the pub and turn it on for 10 minutes, and who wants a box of dead wood with creepy crawlies in their lounge?
Also, if they outed the gas fire for electric, there may be a problem with the flue. Get a fire experienced registered Gas Safe RGI to check the flue BEFORE buying the fire. Expect to pay for his survey, although I would count it as part of the quoted price of the job completed. But that is me and we all have our own policies. Either way, it could save you having a gas fire out of the packaging and no suitable flue to put it in.

As an edit, my "much of a muchness" was really referring to "standard" fires. As TCCH infers, the likes of Faber, Gazco and Dru are in a different league - appearance and purse wise.

Last edited:
Gazco gas fires are pretty good quality in my opinion. Plenty of log effect ones to choose from too. Good efficiencies as well. They're not cheap but you get what you pay for

For the price, especially as a flue check would have to be made anyway, I'd be tempted by the woodburner option. Depends how you plan to use it though.

Fireman T has covered most of the points - Muggles may add some more as I believe he is Hetas as well as GasSafe.

Thank you everyone! At least I know what to look for and also importantly what to ask! We had a woodburner in the old place, I agree it can be a faff to look after, but does have kerb appeal!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back