Inset Gas Fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Balanced Flue gas fire which is faulty. An RGI has taken a look at it and the piezo sparker is faulty. The part seems quite hard to obtain and is about £50. As there are scorch marks outside (indicating I'm told that it hasn't been burning properly) and that we are expecting a baby, we are thinking of replacing the fire, rather than throwing money at patching it up.

Many of the BF fires we have seen are "inset". Our current fire outset.
How deep do insets typically go? We have a cavity wall. Brick, 75mm cavity, Block. (So total of about 275mm) Can an inset go inside the block skin?

Sponsored Links
As someone has said, "Gas fires have no place in the modern world"
Dont risk it with a bambino mate. Theres probably only 2 types of heaters that can kill. Gas fires and open flued appliences

Inset gas fires are only used if you have a chimney breast with a builders opening. To my knowledge

As someone has said, "Gas fires have no place in the modern world"
Dont risk it with a bambino mate. Theres probably only 2 types of heaters that can kill. Gas fires and open flued appliences

Absolute nonsense!

Inset gas fires are only used if you have a chimney breast with a builders opening.

Again, nonsense

To my knowledge

Your knowledge is clearly severely limited.

OP, yes your wlll is okay for a BF inset, but you would normally have either a panel surrounding or a afireplace. The terminal must also not terminate within 600mm of your boundry to a neighbour.

Look at:

http://www.paragonfires.co.uk/pages/products/focus-high-efficiency-gas-fires/focus-rs.php

We fit a lot of these, they carry a 2 year P&L warranty plus a further 3 years parts. You don't need to change the ODS for the warranty, unlike most others.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Fireman. We have an existing fireplace which we hope can be left in situ and used.

Will take a look at the link tomorrow. Thanks a lot.

What fire do you currently have, 50 quid for a piezo i think someone is taking the pish

Sorry to step on your toes FiremanSam, my knowledge of gas fires is limited these days. I have fitted a few in the past but only inset ones to chimney breasts.
I wont make any comments on gas fires in the future and realise that the art of fitting gas fires is a dying trade as they are no longer faishionable.

Sorry to step on your toes FiremanSam, my knowledge of gas fires is limited these days. I have fitted a few in the past but only inset ones to chimney breasts.
I wont make any comments on gas fires in the future and realise that the art of fitting gas fires is a dying trade as they are no longer faishionable.

Ok, Wedgie, fair enough. But gas fires aren't dying out! There is a trend for solid fuel, simply because the public have the ridiculous notion, generated by the media, that they are cheaper to run than gas. They then turn a blind eye to the fact that they are more dangerous and much messier than gas.

Ok, Wedgie, fair enough. But gas fires aren't dying out! There is a trend for solid fuel, simply because the public have the ridiculous notion, generated by the media, that they are cheaper to run than gas. They then turn a blind eye to the fact that they are more dangerous and much messier than gas.

Someone else who sees the light. Hallelujah.
They will all soon want the solid fuel out and the gas fires back in.

I've wanted to rip my ILFE out since I moved in to my house 12 years ago and return it to it's former glory.
I'd rather spend money on a bag of coal and have a real fire that I can play with than wasting/burning gas that I can just look at.

People can take offence if they want with this reply .
But properly trained gasmen think nothing of gas fires or any open flued appliance even though we are talkin balanced flued here.
It is a bread and butter job to fit a fire to properly trained guy but trouble is the industry is full of central heating repairmen who have not got a feking clue about the basics of gas fitting or fitting appliances.
You just have to look in the CC where pro`s are meant to post and it is embarassing how little they know.
RECENT EXAMPLES
hOW DO I HANG A BOILER
HOW DO I MAKE A HOLE BIGGER.
aND as for doing the basics of a soundness test this can run into pages .

Pros my ar5e

I've wanted to rip my ILFE out since I moved in to my house 12 years ago and return it to it's former glory.
I'd rather spend money on a bag of coal and have a real fire that I can play with than wasting/burning gas that I can just look at.

What is your problem with your fire? A decent gas fire is as effective as a coal fire and much less expensive to run. In thus I discount "basket" or "inset tray" type gas fires which are, truthfully, a waste of space.

Most folk want a sub 5Kw coal fire to avoid a vent. This will only generate 5Kw when fully loaded, so clearly most of the time it will be a lot less than 5Kw. Our most popular range of gas fires generate 4.2 Kw o/p on high, and the HE version will cost about 20p per hour on HIGH.

You can also turn it on for a quick 15 minute warm, for example between the pub and bed!

Dan_Robinson Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:19 am Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Counting the days till i get get rid of my LFE. Gas fires pretending to be coal/wood fires

The more I condem and cap the better. [/i]

That's just childish, Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back