Inspection chamber questions. Ultimately, can i move it ?

Where abouts are you?

Could you have a listen while someone else flushes?

Sponsored Links
Luton
The 'planman' was looking and listening whilst I was flushing. Admittedly I have not done it myself. I'll try that tomorrow

See if you can put a broom handle on the possible cap with the other end in your ear. It will amplify the noise.

Am I right in thinking the bottom section under the circular hole/lip there is a second vertical smaller pipe that we can see the end of? IF so is it a pipe? or a cap? i.e can you stick something into it? Could you fire a jet of water or ideally a powerwasher into it to see if it clears?

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking the bottom section under the circular hole/lip there is a second vertical smaller pipe that we can see the end of? IF so is it a pipe? or a cap? i.e can you stick something into it? Could you fire a jet of water or ideally a powerwasher into it to see if it clears?
That's what it looks like,
I have had a bucket of water down it and it does drain away, all be it very slowly. Funnily enough I was thinking pressure washer last night

I think this is possibly the remains of a vented Buchan type trap that someone has put a mini chamber over as they were unsure what it was. If you rod and jet that centre hole I bet it comes loose.

They had stopped using, & BCO approving, Buchanan traps (aka house traps) years before that house was built.

They were located just as the lateral was leaving the property line, & often had a FAI (fresh air inlet) poking above ground.
In my limited experience, they were never inserted half way between the house and the property line.

I know and said as much in my first reply but the house may have been redeveloped on an old site. It is unlikely but just an idea as it looks like a vent from some kind of trap and there don't seem to be many other obvious candidates.

I think vinn is right that your neighbours may hold the key to the mystery? Check their drives for covers and see if they have normal sized chambers?

I think there may be a lid of some sort after all. When I get a bit of time I will investigate further. But I seem to have revealed an edge I can try to gently pry

It will have a few years of kiln dried sand stuck in the seal so it will take a bit of pulling.

Do you have a wet vac? That could make it cleaner and easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back