Inspection cover access

Anyway , back on topic. Rest assured i'm not going to be gassed and hopefully someone can help me.
I can play with semantics further, but you would learn nothing. I'm off to bed (1am here).

You've been nudged in the right direction, figure it out for yourself.

You are probably right, i'm not likely to learn anything from you.
Either London has been knocked into a new timezone or you're on your hols. Either away have a nice snooze.

Sponsored Links
Ok, apologies for going off topic a little bit. Here are some pictures of the hole in question.

20160815_155804_zpsaayfpbjy.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Which gas commonly builds up that will be 'dangerous' to me?

Methane most commonly - flammable and will asphyxiate you
Hydrogen Sulphide - in concentrations of c. 1200 ppm is immediately fatal on a single inhalation
Ammonia - strong ionising effect
Nitrous oxides - flammable and cause severe damage to the lung when inhaled

More commonly - a lack of oxygen which you don't notice until you loose consciousness (when you stop noticing pretty much anything!)

On a practical note, you are entering a confined space with no easy exit and no easy way to extract you if you do have problems. We would never enter a chamber without gas detection equipment and a harness and winch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused - your pic only shows an open gulley. Have you a pic of the lid you are having difficulty reaching/removing?

Unless its one of those "trick of the eye" shots.

Which gas commonly builds up that will be 'dangerous' to me?

Methane most commonly - flammable and will asphyxiate you
Hydrogen Sulphide - in concentrations of c. 1200 ppm is immediately fatal on a single inhalation
Ammonia - strong ionising effect
Nitrous oxides - flammable and cause severe damage to the lung when inhaled

More commonly - a lack of oxygen which you don't notice until you loose consciousness (when you stop noticing pretty much anything!)

On a practical note, you are entering a confined space with no easy exit and no easy way to extract you if you do have problems. We would never enter a chamber without gas detection equipment and a harness and winch.

Great answer. Thankyou!

I'm confused - your pic only shows an open gulley. Have you a pic of the lid you are having difficulty reaching/removing?

Unless its one of those "trick of the eye" shots.

The first pic is the ground level opening and then the second pic is looking in from the top of the hatch. If you look at the bit partially covered in soil you can see one of the handles of the pipe cover. These just sit flat on top of the pipe and are only held by their weight.

Possibly an access in order to rod surface water darinage , I would imagine the property is on a dual drainage system?

So why is it dry now?

You need a small boy to lower from his ankles to lift the cover to what I expect is a rodding eye.

Methane is lighter than air and will soon disperse.

Hydrogen sulphide will not but smells bad so few would breath a dose by choice.

If you must go down the manhole have someone nearby keeping an eye on you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back