Install new light help

Yes I read it .

And it's very helpful but how would I fit five wires in one terminal strip?

Sponsored Links
Did you read this?
replacingceilingrose0lq.gif
You're correct - he did.

image.jpg
Your old pendant is wired in a somewhat unconventional manner. Normally there would only be red wires in that centre loop set of terminals.

I would be interested to see what you find when you actually remove that old pendant, there should be a couple more red wires hanging around somewhere - maybe a loft conversion bodger has done some creative wiring!

I cannot exactly tell from your photo, but if all 5 are connected together in the pendant then, yes, you need to connect them together in a bit of terminal strip.
Bascially you have to replicate what is already there.

Is this ok .
Sorry about my dog but he's very nosey what I'm up two.

Yes. Although it doesn't explain the strange wiring arrangement!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Ok thanks everyone for the help.... Great site need to get back painting will try and do it later and get back two you all later when job is done.

I'm surprised that he isn't a Corgi.

Is he a bit of trickster? Or more of a Grouch?

He's a Bichon and is looking at me thinking what are you doing playing with them wires. Ha ha

All done now thanks for the help guys.

The earth wires where not used in the ceiling rose was just taped up so I put them in a separate terminal block because they was not enough room for them in the new fitting.

Thanks all
Keep up the good work

Stephen

But you did connect the earths to the earth terminal to the new light fitting, didn't you?

The new light fitting is metal and must be earthed.,

One method is connect all the earth wires to a connector block, with a new short wire from here to the earth terminal on the light.

That light fitting must be earthed.

Last edited:
But you did connect the earths to the earth terminal to the new light fitting, didn't you?

The new light fitting is metal and must be earthed.,

One method is connect all the earth wires to a connector block, with a new short wire from here to the earth terminal on the light.

That light fitting must be earthed.

Yes I've put a join from the terminal block to the light fitting earth because it was metal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back