installed my own combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Just thought I'd briefly share my info about fitting your own combi boiler.

I've just fitted a Gloworm 30ci, great boiler looks tidy and has all the features I want ie rear flue, built in filling loop, built in frost protection, built in bypass and you can box it in... and bits are easy to get oh and a 24 month warranty!

Comes with a pre-fixing jig, just make sure your wall is dead flat! otherwise it's hard to get the pipes aligned.

If you opt for the rear flue kit, you have to buy the rubber collar separately, although it come with the normal flue! The rear flue kits are harder to fit!! I think I would fit a normal flue next time.

I like the fact that there is no pilot, the gas/boiler is only used when needed for water/heat.

There is a LCD display showing water pressure and switches to temp when heating, and once it's reached the set temp, turns itself back off, then on again.

I was going to fit a room thermostat, and bought a 230v DONT, as they are more fiddly to fit , opt for the 24v and lifes a breeze, just 2 wires!

I have a small 2 bed cottage, so I fitted TRV's pegler terriers, and one without, and a room thermostat won't really make much difference to our heating.

Finally, just so you know apparantley the gas man who did the commisioning said that if you are running the hot tap for a long time, don't be suprised that the pipe to the radiatiors will get hot, apparantley to protect the pump/boiler when it gets hot, it is the quickest way to keep it cool to send heat through to the rads.

oh yes... and I called 5 heating/plumber bods, corgi not one of them had the decency to even call me back to commision my boiler, so finding a gas man is harder that you may think.

Good luck to all about to do the plunge... I would do another one!

Wilse

Sponsored Links
While many of us will commission a diy fitted boiler, it is illegal for you to fit it unless you are competent. Competence is the operative word. If you haven't done the exams you can't prove that you are! Easiest thing for you to get wrong is the gas supply pipe - I would probably have used 28mm (depends on length).

Also , if you don't fit a room thermostat you are, surprisingly, breaking the law! It's part of the latest building regs.

To anyone considering this route I'd advise you find a friendly pooch for advice before you start so you don't get anything silly wrong. I once made someone move his boiler 3 inches...

Also - if you weren't nice to the water in the beast it could be un-gauranteed and in need of severe attention in a year or two. We see rads rust through in 6 months, etc.

Getting it right ain't rocket science. Neither's crossing the road..!

ChrisR..

..I didn't do any gas pipe, as I did find a CORGI man to do that bit, as I wouldn't to do the gas stuff anyway.

...also I was nice to the water beast, having flushed it properly an added an inhibitor...

...thanks for the advice about the thermostat, how com it's illegal? what is the problem when my boiler regulates the temperature as do my TRV's?

wilse

i had a thought on that (room stat) it may be because the room stat will override the boiler and say "you will switch of now" where as trvs will let the boiler run and run untill the water temp is high enough, since they only control one radiator, a room stat will turn the boiler off so saving energy.

well that is my theory

Sponsored Links
Breezer's is right about the room stat for energy saving.

This is all to do with greenhouse gas in the ozone layer & the environmental inspector are now getting tough with the building regulation.

Info: Did you know you now have to get building permission for renewing your windows + doors !! (heat loss thru' windows etc)

you jest about changing your own windows? (i suppose they want pilkington k glass?)

Not sure what the building regulation are on windows.I know they are keen on double glazed but for single glazed they probably have to have as you say pilkington k glass.

For more details look at the post in the ‘General Comments/Enquiries under ‘New rule on windows could hit your pocket’

There has to be a "boiler interlock" to stop it cycling. In other words a room stat.

Also an automatic bypass valve in most cases, by the way!

Chrisr .. i would have thought there where diffrent rules and regs in

AFHGANISTAN>>>>>>>>>>

think you will find that is where ChrisR was born, not lives, if you read his posts he knows a lot about English rules, the give away is that he is C.O.R.G.I. registered.

ChrisR said:
There has to be a "boiler interlock" to stop it cycling. In other words a room stat.

Also an automatic bypass valve in most cases, by the way!

yep indeedy part of reg L now :LOL:

you do not need building regs for your windows but they are notifiable unless installed by a fensa registered company if not building control charge around £300 to check windows meet current standards .
Right back to mr i fitted my own combi so you did not do the gas got someone else to do benchmark for for warranty(would not have touched it with a barge pole myself ) did you run gas pipework or did you tame rgi and one final question when the rgi commisioned your boiler did you not think to ask him these questions all sounds and smells a bit kipperish
peekay53
OBVIOUSLY YOU NOW ALL KNOW I ONLY READ THIS POST PROPERLY AFTER I POSTED THE ONLY THING OLDER THAN THIS POST ARE A FEW PAIRS OF MY UNDIES :oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back