Installing a gas hob

I know this is a week old, but I only just saw the latest posts... :LOL:

Slogger said:
your not qualidfied to touch gas end of story

I (as do CORGI) beg to differ: as Alan has pointed out, and many plumbers in this forum have also pointed out, you only have to be CORGI registered to work with gas if you are doing it for remuneration. There is no law against working with the gas in your own home. Even if you are a right spacker who doesn't know an isolation valve from a manometer.

Now, I agree that it is a baaaaaad thing that every DIY shed in the country sells combi boilers and cooker hoses. Especially seeing as cookers have the same connection as a hob: I dread to think how many hobs in this country have been installed with a cooker hose. :confused:

stick to your own area of work instead of trying to save a few

Hardly the DIY spirit! If I stuck to my own area of work for DIY then I would just sit around in my living room with schematics and reports everywhere. And when any bills or financial paperwork came through, I would have to leave it because I am not an accountant. And boy would I get hungry, not being a chef and all... ;)

That's a point: we are allowed to cook food for ourselves, for our friends, for our children, without having to take ANY courses in food hygiene. So, perhaps we should have a new law: no-one is allowed to prepare food in their own home without taking a course at their local catering college. And food poisoning can kill, especially with tots. :confused:

Sponsored Links
That's right Adam, but the Gas Safety Regs do require anybody to be 'competent' though (Corgi reg or not), and Red40 (on page1) made some good points on the interpretation of that word.
There is an interesting article here

Loved the bit by pasddyalan where he brought the pressure up to 22mbar and left it for an hour.

Guess You didn't read the book Properly then :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do you think he could write that down on his HIP if he ever needs one then. :idea: :LOL:

I must thank you all for a great laff.

As for YOU DONT HAVE TO BE PROVEN COMPETENT, notice I avoided CORGI registerd, TO WORK ON YOUR OWN GAS. I beg to differ

you WILL be commiting a criminal offence, negating insurance and they HSE would be all over you like a bad suit.

But best of luck and I hope you dont kill anyone.

PS you mate from BG must be a right old mug Nice One :LOL:

Another interesting point here. His mate works for BG and signed it off with a safety cert. Did he employ BG for this check, is his mate reg'd under his own right or through BG. If It's through BG and they weren't employed to carry out this work the safety cert ain't worth a damn and his mate could be in deep sh**e if anything did go wrong. corgiman hit thenail on the head. right old mug :LOL:

Sounds to me that all these Corgi reg people are just miffed at missing out on charging paddyalan too much money for doing a simple job.......

LOL.....

sounds to me if i let my reg lapse then SUDDENLY im incompetent
spheres to you mate :evil:
must not offend the mods :)
corgi reg aint worth j/s but we have to have it to work
way of the world (for now) watch this space :evil:

well said kev. The next thing is new building regs to make it a crime for anyone not an electrician to do simple electrical work.

All this over regulation is killing the UK economy, they push up cost and stress levels for the conscientious and are just ignored by the rough-necks. To see the corgi guy's slamming this guy is pathetic.

driving a van is far more likely to kill someone than gas fitting work. Lets face it how many corgi reg. idiots have you seen speeding or otherwise driving negligently. Is this not a serious crime?

It's amusing, though rather pathetic, to read through all this waffle and supposedly reasoned argument about why this guy should be ok to do this job, citing a degree in electronics (twice) as some sort of justification. A degree in anything is irrelevant if it's the wrong field. I did two, one in electronics; neither the slightest use for fitting a hob. If you don't go through the gas fitter's course, you won't have a hope in hell of guessing what you need to do. You don't know what you need to find out!

You moved your boiler - there are dozens of things you could have got wrong - and you'd never guess most of them.

Carbon monoxide is heavier than air, so putting the detector on the ceiling :rolleyes: illustrates the point - that's one you should have known.

You haven't gone about testing for leaks correctly, so you have not proved the system doesn't leak. It could be leaking right now, and you could repeat "your" test - it wouldn't show it. By not mentioning other things which would need to be got right, it's fairly safe to assume you've ballsed those up as well.

That's about stuff corgi's learn, but there are others factors too.
There was a case recently where someone's house went pop and the owner had done some work on the gas. He couldn't provide the name of the installer so he wasn't insured. NO corgi guy can "sign off" an installation, only do standard checks. For example if your boiler falls off the wall because the screws were too small, your insurance wouldn't pay out. If a corgi had done it you WOULD be covered, even though there's no specific bit in the training covering wall fixings.

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

I have seen some very shoddy jobs done by electricians and not wanting to get ripped off, I have purchased a selection of tools, neon tester, twin and earth cable and sleeving (to cover the earth wire), along with metal boxes (twin and single gang). I am hoping to rewire my house as I can rewire a plug top (that includes using the cord grip), am not colour blind, therefore can distinguish between red and black wires. Am able to wire a two way and intermediate lighting circuits.

Can paddyalan advise circuit rating as I have purchased a fuse box and am hoping to replace the existing fuse box.

I should have added I have picked up Wicks DIY sheets and have got some books from the library on electric wiring in a home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back