Installing a new socket - can I run the cable.....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating parts of my house and am now working in the living room. I would like to add a new power socket there. I ideally would like to run a spur from an existing socket. I have not as yet checked whether the socket is able to support a spur as I may not do it on my own if I cannot run the 2.5mm twin and earth under the floor.

I have to lift the old floor and refit new boards over the next few weeks. If I can chase the wall down from the original socket to below the floor level and feed the cable through the joists (on the ground floor not first floor) over to the place to situ the new socket and chase up to the socket - this would only involve about 2 feet of chasing into the wall.

Is it OK to have cable running under the ground floor like this to feed power sockets? I am based in Northern Ireland and don't know if the regulations that apply in England/Wales apply the same here or if this is relevant to my proposal.

If I cant do this it would involve considerably more cutting of the wall and may not be worth the effort. I am capable of doing this on my own (if the original socket can support a spur), however if the cable cant run as suggested I would consider getting a pro in

Sponsored Links
as I'm not up on the irish wiring or building regs I can't say for sure, but running a cable is not a problem..
just make sure you run the right size..

you may find other cables already down there..

you ought to consider protection for the cable since it's a likely place for an unwanted guest to set up home..
View media item 9882
if you install a plastic conduit then you could either put the cable in it already or just a string for later..

I ideally would like to run a spur from an existing socket.
Why not extend the ring? (it probably is)

I have to lift the old floor and refit new boards over the next few weeks.
When they are up it will be easy to replace cables to allow the ring to be extended.

Is it OK to have cable running under the ground floor like this to feed power sockets?
It's almost certain that that's where the existing ones are...

Thanks for your answers....most helpful. I have replaced the kitchen and dinning room floors and there were no cables under those....therefore I dont think I will find any in the living room. There are plenty under the floors in the first floor but appear to be none under the floors on the ground floor (hence the question in case there were rules about that)

I have seen on a few sockets in this house the cables traveling up from the ground floor so I.m assuming they all travel horizontal or vertical but none on the ground floor go down and under and through the floor

I know how to add a spur and under my circumstances it is easy. I want to keep the job as simple as possible to avoid having to bring in professionals.

From what you both say it appears that running cables under the ground floor is not a problem as long as I run the right cable and ensure the sockets(s) i use support running spurs....thanks.

Sponsored Links
BELFAST falls under BS7671:2008 it is CURRENTLY ruled by Britain, this may change hopefully. However Eire also uses BS7671:2008.

Either way you can add a socket to the ring either by extending the ring or as a spur should conditions allow. 'Part P' last time i checked still does not apply in the North, however the requirement for RCD protection is there

BELFAST falls under BS7671:2008 it is CURRENTLY ruled by Britain, this may change hopefully.
Britain is CURRENTLY trying to get more power devolved to BELFAST. But some of the people in BELFAST are resisting that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back