Installing a suitable cover for my garden alley...

awm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my housemate are tenants in a property and I have decided it would really help us with space if we can find a way to cover this alleyway in our garden, so that it is clear from rain and minimise sun exposure...

We'd like to find a simple way to fix a cover of some kind between the fence and the wall so that it creates a sort of conservatory area.

We thought of tarpaulin but worried that if it is not pulled tight, the rainwater will fill pockets on it and weigh it down and it's also likely to blow away in extreme wind.

Then we considered corrugated roof sheets which could be an option but we're not sure how to fix one.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• DIY Forum.JPG
    DIY Forum.JPG
    501.9 KB · Views: 1,261
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Whose fence is it?

The guttering is going to be the annoying bit. If it's your fence then it's on your land and your guttering can sit above it. If it's your neighbors fence then your guttering should be on your side of the fence.

Corrugated plastic, or twinwall plastic would do the job, you can fit a batten to your wall, then screw the sheet onto it and put flash band (edited) above it. (There's a fair bit more detailing involved).

Then the lower edge can be supported on a wooden frame build just your side of the fence with guttering to catch run off. It'd be very rude to allow the runoff to just pour into your neighbours side of the fence.

I wouldn't plan for the fence to be part of the construction, it seems like a quick win but it's more trouble than its its worth imo.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Whose fence is it?

The guttering is going to be the annoying bit. If it's your fence then it's on your land and your guttering can sit above it. If it's your neighbors fence then your guttering should be on your side of the fence.

Corrugated plastic, or twinwall plastic would do the job, you can fit a batten to your wall, then screw the sheet onto it and put flash and above it. (There's a fair bit more detailing involved).

Then the lower edge can be supported on a wooden frame build just your side of the fence with guttering to catch run off. It'd be very rude to allow the runoff to just pour into your neighbours side of the fence.

I wouldn't plan for the fence to be part of the construction, it seems like a quick win but it's more trouble than its its worth imo.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I think the guttering can sit above it on our side of the fence.

What do you mean by 'put flash and above it'?

The wooden frame build sounds like an idea. We have a concrete floor, so curious to know how you would fix it? Do you have any photos of something similar so we can understand?

Thanks!

Good question, Andy I should probably have made that clear (edited my post earlier now), we are actually tenants so looking for a simple solution.

You would not be allowed to do anything unless you have authorisation from the landlord. He may even charge you for any damaged caused. (fixing into the brickwork)

My advice, buy somewhere, outside of London as it would be cheaper. (sorry if I sound like your dad)

Andy

Good question, Andy I should probably have made that clear (edited my post earlier now), we are actually tenants so looking for a simple solution.

Best discuss it first with the property owner first then.

Hi yes, the property owner is happy for us to do work like this but we'd like to put the proposal to him first.

If the landlord is happy, you could build a lean-to by bolting either to the side return, or on the main house..
Side return would be easier, apart from guttering.
You can't drain onto your neighbour's side (unless they agree to build with you and build a butterfly roof)
But side return gives a bigger height

The landlord would need to agree, at worst, to fence posts in metal shoes bolted to the concrete.
At best, digging holes to set the posts in concrete

Okay thanks, budget is minimal, I'm starting to wonder if this is practical at all, seems crazy there isn't a simple way to cover an area.

I know it goes against the DIY spirit of things but what do you guys think of using a gazebo? Do you know if we can get one custom-built? Or one that might fit the area?

Basically need to find a suitable 1m x 5m wide gazebo or canopy I think.

Last edited:
Yep, I found something similar to that here, I think this could do it. Thoughts?

I guess my main concern is that rain/sun can come into that area at an angle but it might be worth a punt at £70.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back