installing outdoor light

Given that such a JB would need to have the same IP rating as the lights, what would be the logic in deciding that 3 sets of terminals and 2 cables is notifiable, but 2 sets and 1 cable is not?

I see your logic. So would you say that the use of an enclosure external is the only way to make this non notifiable then? Can placing the cable out of reach make it non notifiable?

Sponsored Links
I say that there isn't truthfully a way to make it non-notifiable - the law is crystal clear.

But it would be churlish to refuse the option offered by Approved Document P, even if it isn't right, which is to run the cable connecting the lights indoors, and have none of it outside.

But putting the cable in an enclosure would mean that the cable would no longer be exposed and would comply with part p with regard to not notifying, wouldn't it?

When did exposed cable become an exposed connection?
Fixed lighting to the outside of a dwelling, where the cable is directly terminated in to the the light fitting, so no other external joints.
Is not notifiable, where does it state that it is?
Approved Doc Part P
General Guidance (i)

Sponsored Links
Fixed lighting to the outside of a dwelling, where the cable is directly terminated in to the the light fitting, so no other external joints.
Approved Doc Part P
General Guidance (i)

As said in one of my previous posts, if the lighting is fixed to the wall and is a security light then I agree with what you say. Its just when you put Part P general guidance (g) with (i) where it can get a bit confusing. As outdoor lighting is classed as a special installation (g) and as (i) states that such installations are notifiable there will always be debate over whether or not it actually is. If it's a security light and can be argued that it is then I would opt for non notifiable as it is specifically noted in (i).

I know we are both signing from the same hymn sheet!
but (g) refers to garden lighting and cables crossing the garden.
This is a different issue, (i) does not restrict it's self purely to security lighting but uses it as an example!
There is no reference made to whether the cables are to be routed internally or externally!

"g, Outdoor lighting and power installations are special installations. Any new work in, for example, the garden or that involves crossing the garden is notifiable."
Above is the wording of Part P G/G (g). It states that outdoor lighting is a special installation then goes on to a different sentence saying any new work in or crossing a garden is notifiable. So my interpretation is that outdoor lighting is a special installation so using guidance (i) then that makes it notifiable except when using the examples given.

But agree with the cable routing! ;)

using GG (i) makes it not not.
GG (g) contradicts that but does not refer to equipment fixed to the outside wall.
I have had this out with my scheme provider before and they agree with him, which is nice!

Well my interpretation is fixing an external light to an outside wall of a dwelling, providing no external connection, other than that at the fitting and providing it's not a new circuit or extended from the kitchen/bathroom.
= not not!

But putting the cable in an enclosure would mean that the cable would no longer be exposed and would comply with part p with regard to not notifying, wouldn't it?
1) Part P has nothing to do with notification.

This is Part P:

It says nothing about notifying.

2) If you mean that putting the cable in conduit or trunking so that it wasn't exposed would get you that exemption invented by Approved Document P, then I guess it would.

What do you think "exposed out door connections" means? As in what's the likeliest, most logical thing it could mean?

Approved Doc Part P
General Guidance (i)
Absolutely everything is notifiable unless exempted by Schedule 4.

There is no exemption in Schedule 4 for outside lighting installations.

For some reason Approved Document P invents an exemption if there are no exposed out door connections.

1) Part P has nothing to do with notification.
This is Part P:
It says nothing about notifying.

No that is a snippet from approved document P (part p), not the whole of it! Here's a link to the whole of Part P http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf . It has guidance in other parts of approved document P in regards to what is required to be notified. I have posted in previous posts the wording that applies to this situation!

No that is a snippet from approved document P (part p), not the whole of it!
No - click it please, and you'll see.

It is Part P of the Building Regulations in its entirety.

No - that is not a link to Part P, it is a link to Approved Document P.

It has guidance in other parts of approved document P in regards to what is required to be notified. I have posted in previous posts the wording that applies to this situation!
The wording which applies (and if you'd care to click on the link to Schedule 4 you'll see that it conflicts with the actual law) is

i. The installation of equipment attached to the
outside wall of a house (for example security
lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon
fans) is not notifiable provided that there are
no exposed outdoor connections and the
work does not involve the installation of a
new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a
kitchen or special location or associated with
a special installation.

So I think you're right - if you pt the cable in conduit or trunking so that it isn't exposed than according to AD P it's non-notifiable.

I doubt that's what they intended, but then the people who wrote the law never intended what AD P says in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back