installing outdoor light

We see the bald statement all the time, "It's not in a {kitchen|bathroom|garden} so Part P does not apply".
We do, indeed, and that really illustrates what I'm saying. They surely say that because (as you usually point out to them), they don't understand exactly what 'Part P' is - surely NOT because they believe it would be correct to say "It's not in a {kitchen|bathroom|garden} so there is no requirement for the work to be done safely"?

In other words, I believe (you may say naively) that everyone understands (or presumes) that there is a requirement for all work to be done safely, regardless of what they do and do not understand about 'which bit of the legislation says what'.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
surely NOT because they believe it would be correct to say "It's not in a {kitchen|bathroom|garden} so there is no requirement for the work to be done safely"?
Were you to explicitly ask them that I'm sure they wouldn't believe it, but I'm equally sure they don't think about it.

In other words, I believe (you may say naively) that everyone understands (or presumes) that there is a requirement for all work to be done safely, regardless of what they do and do not understand about 'which bit of the legislation says what'.
Kind Regards, John.[/quote]
I do say naïvely - incredibly so, as it happens.

For as long as they are given the impression that there is this one monolithic thing called Part P, which they don't truly understand, then as soon as they are told it doesn't apply they will be minded to think that nothing applies.

For as long as they are given the impression that Part P is about getting permission from the council to put downlighters in their kitchen they will be minded to resent it, and as soon as they are told it doesn't apply they will carry on as if they don't have to pay regard to anything.

The only chance there is of people realising that Part P applies to everything is to always stress that it is totally separate from notification, and to always correct those who try to conflate the two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back