installing outdoor light

No that is a snippet from approved document P (part p), not the whole of it!
Because an 'Approved document' quotes the actual law (which, I suppose it would) does not render the law 'a snippet'.

These Approved documents are more trouble than they are worth, written, seemingly, by people with their own view of what was meant, rather than actually written, which is no more valid than anyone else's.

If I may be a bit dim for a minute; what, exactly, is an 'exposed outdoor connection'?
One with no insulation tape on it?

Sponsored Links
I belive that an "Approved Document" is only a guide to stop you being the wrong side of the LEGISLATION
better known as the Statutory Instrument

The problem is that we all spend our time arguing the toss about tiny differences of opinion on the Approved Document. Which is a guide. It isn't law.

Or have I misundertood the whole enchilada

hmm

enchilada............

I've got the munchies

good night

It is Part P of the Building Regulations in its entirety.

I hold my hands up here and accept that I have referred to approved document p (non statutory) as part p (statutory). :oops:

As said before can be a bit confusing when the statutory legislation conflicts with the non statutory guidance which has been provided to help you abide by the statutory legislation.

1) Part P has nothing to do with notification. This is Part P: ..... It says nothing about notifying.
True, but other parts (including Schedule 4) of the SI (i.e. 'the law') of which Part P is part surely do say a lot about notification?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
As said before can be a bit confusing when the statutory legislation conflicts with the non statutory guidance which has been provided to help you abide by the statutory legislation.
I know - it's pants, isn't it.

IIRC they were threatening to amend the Building Regulations and remove a lot of things from notifiable status.

True, but other parts (including Schedule 4) of the SI (i.e. 'the law') of which Part P is part surely do say a lot about notification?
They do. Part 3 covers notification and Schedule 4 defines the exemptions.
Exactly - hence my implied point that, although it's literally true to say that Part P does not talk about notfication, 'the law' (of which part P is a part) most certainly does.

Kind Regards, John.

Exactly - hence my implied point that, although it's literally true to say that Part P does not talk about notfication, 'the law' (of which part P is a part) most certainly does.
"Literally" true?

No qualification is needed, it's true, and that is sufficient.

And it's an important truth, because conflating Part P with Part 3/Schedule 4 can lead to thinking that Part P does not apply to non-notifiable work.

And it's an important truth, because conflating Part P with Part 3/Schedule 4 can lead to thinking that Part P does not apply to non-notifiable work.
I suppose it could but, equally, failing to acknowledge that Part 3 and Schedule 4 are all part of the same bit of law as Part P, and therefore have to be considered together, could lead to thinking that notification did not apply to electrical work!

Kind Regards, John.

Where has anybody failed to acknowledge that?
Nowhere explicitly. However, I think we should be sensible and accept that, since we are talking about one piece of legislation, all applicable bits of which apply in any given situation, when someone talks of 'Part P', that also implies ('...and any other applicable parts of the same piece of legisation'). In other words, IMO, it is likely to be more confusing than helpful to point out to people that 'Part P does not mention notification'.

Kind Regards, John.

It is Part P of the Building Regulations in its entirety.

I hold my hands up here and accept that I have referred to approved document p (non statutory) as part p (statutory). :oops:

I have to admit i too have made mistakes regarding this before.
We all make mistakes i guess.

However, I think we should be sensible and accept that, since we are talking about one piece of legislation, all applicable bits of which apply in any given situation, when someone talks of 'Part P', that also implies ('...and any other applicable parts of the same piece of legisation').
No, that's imprecise and unacceptable.

In other words, IMO, it is likely to be more confusing than helpful to point out to people that 'Part P does not mention notification'.
IMO it is much better for people to get notification wrong than to think that if the work is non-notifiable then Part P doesn't apply to it.

IMO it is much better for people to get notification wrong than to think that if the work is non-notifiable then Part P doesn't apply to it.
Not just in your opinion - I would hope that everyone would agree with that. However, I think you're going a bit OTT by implying that anyone would believe that Part P itself (which, after all, essentially merely says that electrical work must be done so as not to create dangers) does not apply to non-notifiable work.

Kind Regards, John.

The more and more people talk about "Part P applying/not applying" when what they mean is "notifiable/non-notifiable" then the more someone might indeed believe that Part P doesn't apply to non-notifiable work.

Or the more they might think that "Part P" is only about notification, and that there's nothing else to comply with if the work is non-notifiable.

We see the bald statement all the time, "It's not in a {kitchen|bathroom|garden} so Part P does not apply".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back