Insufficient room for gable end extension?

Ergo I am concerned that our "gap" is not as big as standard gaps (at least the gaps between the semis in our estate).

There must, therefore, be a reason that our "gap" is smaller.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for swift replies.

Every other side extension on our estate (counted about 5) have space to get to back garden so thought that this was a given. I estimate that the wall of the extension would have to be inches from neighbour's garage.

Right.. So, you moved into a house (willingly) on an estate, and now many years on you come to realise that your plot is slightly different to all the other plots.. Immediately you suspect that someone secretly built a garage in the night, robbing you of your opportunity to build an extension and still have a path to drag the dustbin down? And you want to know what can be done about it?

Either design something that you can use in the space that you have, or do your neighbours a favour and move somewhere else. An apartment block maybe, if youre so obsessed with the notion of having things equal sized

Thanks for constructive response. I'll keep the long words to a minimum to stop your brain overheating.

I'm only too familiar with the variances in plot sizes within and between housing developments.

That said I don't have a degree in Planning to add to my Masters.

Making allowances for the above: It seems odd that 90 odd percent of a sample (albeit small) are able to build their extensions on our estate yet we cannot.

Time to go back to your comics I think.

Sponsored Links
Its all very well giving us Smart Alec response but unless you furnish us with some credible information you will not get any useful responses.

Was wondering if side extension is feasible. If not, it must mean that garage is encroaching on our land as there are several side extensions in our estate.
I still don't follow why the two issues are linked. How would we know if the garage encroaches? And even if it did why would that mean an extension of your houses was not possible, planning aside?

The garage looks roughly as if it comes out about half way out the gaps between the houses. Certainly can't see how you'd fit two garages and an alley way in the gaps between the houses.

You could still build an extension in the remaining gap that's left. Don't understand why you don't think you can't.

Its all very well giving us Smart Alec response but unless you furnish us with some credible information you will not get any useful responses.

Was wondering if side extension is feasible. If not, it must mean that garage is encroaching on our land as there are several side extensions in our estate.
I still don't follow why the two issues are linked. How would we know if the garage encroaches? And even if it did why would that mean an extension of your houses was not possible, planning aside?

Sorry, but I was responding to the earlier ******’s gratuitous comments.

Many thanks to kingandy2nd for helpful and clear advice. I can’t see the point in building an extension which would then almost butt up against their garage. Also useful having a gap (gate size-not an alleyway). After all, that's what everyone else on our estate has.

300 posts and only thanked once; not hard to see why

Many thanks to kingandy2nd for helpful and clear advice

Given that Andy's essentially told you what he can see in the picture that you posted, it does make me wonder whether education standards slipped in your area when you were applying to prestigious local web-based universities for your Masters.
Are you actually here to ask a sensible question that you couldn't answer yourself by opening your own eyes, or do you plan to continue the inanity ad infinitum?

After all, that's what everyone else on our estate has

You know, it really doesn't matter what everyone else on your estate has. You could have paid £150K for a shoebox on an allotment and it wouldn't mean that you had magical recourse to run off crying to some authority about how you should have the same size plot and house as the rest of the people on the street. You came, you saw, you paid for it. What do you hope to gain by bothering this forum with a "please sir; the boy next door has more than me" ?

Are you actually here to ask a sensible question that you couldn't answer yourself by opening your own eyes, or do you plan to continue the inanity ad infinitum? .... What do you hope to gain by bothering this forum with a "please sir; the boy next door has more than me" ?
blank65x10t.gif
plus_one.gif

We are looking into gable end as only alternative but have a problem as we think neighbour's garage is built on our side of boundary line.
But you don't know.

It's a bit messy as the woman who was our neighbour has now died and someone else lives there.
Why does that make a difference?

She also once owned our house and then moved next door.
So?

I haven't measured the gap but have looked at other gable ends in the estate and the gap just doesn't look big enough.
OK - so the gap is not big enough for you to have an extension and keep a gate into your back garden. Don't think there's anything people here can do about that.

I don't want to create world war 3 as we get on with new people and we've probably left it too late to complain but if the garage was build a few inches too far then we have a case.
A case for what? Forcing the new neighbours to knock down a garage which has been there for more than 15 years, and which was there when you bought the property?

I don't think so.

Would appreciate any advice.
Build what you can in the space you have

or

put up with the house the size it is

or

move.

300 posts and only thanked once; not hard to see why

Many thanks to kingandy2nd for helpful and clear advice

Given that Andy's essentially told you what he can see in the picture that you posted, it does make me wonder whether education standards slipped in your area when you were applying to prestigious local web-based universities for your Masters.
Are you actually here to ask a sensible question that you couldn't answer yourself by opening your own eyes, or do you plan to continue the inanity ad infinitum?

After all, that's what everyone else on our estate has

You know, it really doesn't matter what everyone else on your estate has. You could have paid £150K for a shoebox on an allotment and it wouldn't mean that you had magical recourse to run off crying to some authority about how you should have the same size plot and house as the rest of the people on the street. You came, you saw, you paid for it. What do you hope to gain by bothering this forum with a "please sir; the boy next door has more than me" ?

I was just being polite to our Andy.

I must confess that I didn't realise that the Dandy and Beano now used Latin. Is that where you picked up that phrase? "Inanity" is obviously another one that I need to add to my vocabulary :LOL:

I know I"m wasting my time with you as you can't read, but for those with IQs in double figures:

My point is that we don't have enough space for side extension and gate, even though the rest of the Western Hemisphere does. We equally can't have decent loft conversion due to trusses and lack of headroom.

Believe it or not I had actually deduced that. What I was seeking was a view on how unusual, unlucky this was and how I might mitigate (cue ****** using his thesaurus) this.

Good day to you.

L

"Inanity" is obviously another one that I need to add to my vocabulary :LOL:
It's a perfectly common word.

My point is that we don't have enough space for side extension and gate, even though the rest of the Western Hemisphere does.
So, assuming your IQ is in double figures, you must realise that it you don't have space then you can't have a side extension and a gate, and there is nothing to be done about that as there is no way to create more space.

We equally can't have decent loft conversion due to trusses and lack of headroom.
If you say so, although that's a financial and planning issue, not technical.

Believe it or not I had actually deduced that.
Which makes the point of this thread even harder to grasp.

What I was seeking was a view on how unusual, unlucky this was
There are millions of houses in this country where the owners wouldn't be able to build a side extension at all. I fail to see how the prevalence of your problem is in any way relevant - it doesn't matter if the entire world is in the same boat as you, or if you are the only one with the problem - you don't have space, and that's all there is to it.

and how I might mitigate (cue ****** using his thesaurus) this.
1. Build a smaller extension.

2. Build a 2-storey extension wider on the 1st floor than on the ground.

3. Do without a gate.

4. Move.

Seriously - what did you think people would be able to do for you? Come up with a way to move the houses apart? Tell you that because a person now dead built a garage in the wrong place over 15 years ago before either you or the owner of the garage owned your properties you had grounds for getting it demolished?

I live in an end terrace with a 5 foot gap between me and my boundary. Is this gap big enough for an extension, or should i take a bulldozer to my neighbours property?

Answers on a brick thrown through my window. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back