Insulating water and central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Our joists and floorboards are about to be sprayed for a woodworm infestation - which has a side affect of making us create easy access points to the under floor space.

I am considering using this as a window of opportunity to apply those 1m foam sections of pipe insulation to all hot & cold water pipes and heating pipes that I can see down there.

It's a 1970s house that we have just bought - and for some reason - despite having 23 rads and 13 taps in total - only about 5% of the pipes are currently insulated.

Would you agree this is a good idea? Are there any circumstances where it would be better to not insulate pipes?

Obviously this will only insulate a portion of the pipes - but I will do the rest as we tackle other parts of the house.

Sponsored Links
for maximum efficiency for your boiler and hot water sytem then yes, always a good idea to insulate pipes, especially in unheated spaces, like under the floor.

Thanks Madrab

Just out of interest - are there any disadvantages to insulating pipes in the crawl space?

and are those foam lengths the best way to go in the eyes of a pro?

whitling2k

Sponsored Links
As good as any other option Whitling, just use good quality is all I'd say. Can't think of any reason not to no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back