Intergas...but which...

Sponsored Links
Look.....over there......a squirrel......:eek:

---Quickly tries to close thread and nail it shut before anyone notices----

Sponsored Links
Oldest boiler we had was a Ideal Domestic #3 circa 1945. Now relocated to an Ideal training centre and replaced with an Intergas (obvs).
That originally ran on town gas, converted to natural gas in the 1970s. Domestic? I must have costed a fortune to run. I recall domestic boilers that had no electrics in the controls. They had a relay valve that modulated the burner to a bead up to full rate all using gas weep pipes to wall thermostat and boiler stat. A pilot light of course. We have gone backwards in many respects.

I saw an Ideal Concord about a year back in a house. It was heating a `large` thermal store with two thermostats, so it only came on once a day normally, and maybe twice in deep winter.

I saw an Ideal Concord about a year back in a house. It was heating a `large` thermal store with two thermostats, so it only came on once a day normally, and maybe twice in deep winter.
What type of back end protection did/does this boiler utilise?

domestic gas heating boilers that did not require electrics were still available in the 80's ,late 80's if I recall ?may even have been the early 90's

??????????

"gas weep pipes"??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....@ least try to google the correct terminology when referring to gas controls...:rolleyes:

What type of back end protection did/does this boiler utilise?
If I recall rightly It had a wax type blending valve, probably a Danfos. It probably is still chugging away. It came on in one cycle, burned up continuously without a cycle, and the thermal store cut it out. The controls, apart from thermocouples were all original. I suspected the boiler thermostat was kaput being so old, however the thermal store thermostats controlled the boiler so it never got to boiling point. Such a simple setup. The only complexity was that it had a summer/winter stat on the thermal store switched in and out by the user and a latching relay in a plastic electrical box. In summer it only heated the top half. Everything was original and it must have been from the late 1970s to early 1980s. Every now and then they had the hot water coil in the thermal store cylinder de-scaled.

Last edited:
"gas weep pipes"??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....@ least try to google the correct terminology when referring to gas controls...:rolleyes:
Soft copper tube about 6mm. They were called `weep pipes` by some, I kid you not. Two copper pipes would be in the wall to the wall thermostat. You obviously think it is funny as it is all before your time.

domestic gas heating boilers that did not require electrics were still available in the 80's ,late 80's if I recall ?may even have been the early 90's
??????????
I recall the Chaffataeux that was like a multi-point. The external pump would lift the diaphragm and bring in the gas burner. But it needed an electric pump controlled from a room thermostat. The boilers I am on about were in the basement and heated the house or pub above by large bore pipe on gravity with no electrics whatsoever. I saw some in the flats in a block that had electric pumps.

Last edited:
Ferroli Hmmm

allegedly ;) they may (;)) have some past history of renaging on warranty work , they may (;)) also have some past history of not paying there serv agts & getting rid of serv agts who refused to play ball when the get out of warranty policy was the norm ?? all alegedly of course ;)

This no divertor valve concept in combis has been around for a good while

ferroli had the Falcon model way back . gloworm hot water express , Ravenheat had a similar concept although this did have a div valve afaik

intergas do have a virtually bullet proof heat exc & are probably the only boiler manu that has a heat exc that can with stand dry firing ;)

If I recall rightly It had a wax type blending valve. It probably is still chugging away. It came on in one cycle burned up, and the thermal store cut it out. The controls, apart from thermocouples was all original. I suspected the boiler thermostat was kaput, however the thermal store thermostats controlled the boiler so it never got to boiling point.
Thermocouples?...so what action did you take regarding the "kaput" boiler stat??
3 port blending valve?....@ what temperature did the "blending valve" port open to thermal store?
Hopefully I've got this right...so the high/low stats fitted to thermal store being the sole control for burner on/off???....were any interlocks put in place should the circulating pump fail??

Last edited:
Thermocouples?...so what action did you take regarding the "kaput" boiler stat??
3 port blending valve?....@ what temperature did the "blending valve" port open to thermal store?
Hopefully I've got this right...so the high/low stats fitted to thermal store being the sole control for burner on/off???
I was only looking at it, intrigued. I 'suspected' the boiler thermostat was kaput being so old. I never tested it. I never touched anything. I think they said they did replace one probe cylinder thermostat once. So thermocouples and one thermostat can't be bad for about 40 years. The blending valve was set to 55C.

How many thermocouples were used on this ideal concord ??? .... Was it a dual burner???
You're full of shyte...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back