intermediate switch or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 switches which control a single light...

One is at the bottom of the stairs one at the top of the stairs and the other at the opposite side of the landing.

The first switch is a 2 gang 2 way switch which is at the bottom of the stairs.

The second switch is a 1 gang and 2 way switch at the top of the stairs.

The third switch is a 3 gang 2 way switch at the other side of the landing.

Would the second switch be an intermediate switch? The reason I ask is the other half wants to swap the switches to polished chrome screwless flat plates. Is there anything which would give it away that it's intermediate or not?

Also while looking at the switches pretty much all of the screwless polished chrome switches I have found seem to be 10ax switches. Are these alright as a normal switch as I believe these are normally used for fluorescents?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Would the second switch be an intermediate switch?
If there's a light which can be controlled by all three switches then one of them has to be an intermediate.

But it doesn't have to be the one "in the middle" - it could be any of them.

Sponsored Links
If there's a light which can be controlled by all three switches then one of them has to be an intermediate. ... But it doesn't have to be the one "in the middle" - it could be any of them.
Do you mean "in the middle" physically or electrically? If the latter, I will need to think (and probably scribble!) about that!

Kind Regards, John

I'd imagine the intermediate one would be the 1-gang one; I've never heard of an intermediate switch that isn't all alone on its faceplate.

Rather surprised nobody brought that up already....

It's been covered before, including relatively recently.

I thought the conclusion was that nothing greater than a 2-gang intermediate existed, not nothing greater than 1-gang.

It's been covered before, including relatively recently. ... I thought the conclusion was that nothing greater than a 2-gang intermediate existed, not nothing greater than 1-gang.
Yes, I think that was the conclusion. That is, of course, if one is constrained to have a 'single' size faceplate. If one is prepared to have a 'double-size' plate, then there are at least some 3-gang ones available (at a price!) - (such as this one) . I don't recall ever having seen a 4-gang one, but they may exist.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back