Internal door hanging tolerances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm currently having a difference of opinion with my new home builder regarding the gap left under their newly internal hung doors which Are 3/4" higher than the floor.
Is there a code of practice or BS/EN to which the doors should comply?

Sponsored Links
For heaven's sake, don't kill them or JD will post a thread about it. :mrgreen:

20mm is probably around the average to allow for decent underlay and carpet thickness and still allowing the door to swing freely.

Might be better to post in carpentry - mods asked

Sponsored Links
Too much IMO too. Should give sensible clearance above carpet so it doesn't drag.

Far too high in my opinion too as it looks like they're flapping in the wind. Trouble is builder is just acting dumb so I wanted to use some formal guidance to reinforce the point??!!

I could be wrong, but I would doubt if there is any standard as such. Mostly what you are going to get here is opinion which isn't really going to be that much use if the guy is being difficult.
Someone who hangs doors regularly might come along and tell you what is considered normal.

i allow 12mm when i done house bashing.
when hanging doors in a furnished home,i would try to get the door to brush the pile of the carpet.

the only recommendation as such is 12mm under a bathroom door to allow the fan to work efficiently
when hanging doors i go for 3-6mm dependant on door lean or floor rise

If the house has a ventilation system, that gap is ideal for allowing air to travel between rooms. A 5 mm gap on a 736 wide door is about the same area as a 63mm flexiduct (small as they come), but by contrast you need 24mm on a 736 door to be the equivalent of a 150mm duct

I could be wrong, but I would doubt if there is any standard as such.

I think there are two to consider

a) common sense
b) craftsmanship

Sounds like both are wanting

It does indeed.
I should have said "official" standard. :)
The two you mention should be a given if the OP is employing professionals.

If the house has a ventilation system, that gap is ideal for allowing air to travel between rooms. A 5 mm gap on a 736 wide door is about the same area as a 63mm flexiduct (small as they come), but by contrast you need 24mm on a 736 door to be the equivalent of a 150mm duct

I don't know much about ventilation, but surely in a house with a proper ventilation system there would be proper in and out vents? Leaving a gap like that under the door is pretty ugly IMO, and reminds me somehow of in "Steptoe and Son" when 'Arold fits central heating to the house and runs pipes under the doors to warm up the draughts! :)

I would expect wooden thresholds under all doors. But there again I'm used to old fashioned , decent quality of construction

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back