invertor playing up

how is that then? will it not recharge again?

Every time a battery is charged and discharged, the resulting wear and tear, reduces the available charge, or amp/hour. The wear and tear/available amp/hour, is made dramatically worse, the lower the endpoint discharge voltage, plus leaving the battery for a prolonged period, in a discharged state.

Sponsored Links
Where dose it say that please as I cant see it in the description
Specification tab on the advert you linked to 1697359509754.png as to
It doesn't need to - if it didn't switch off once the battery voltage drops, then it would permanently ruin the battery.
That was always what I was taught, however I found 2 x 7Ah AGM (VRLA) batteries that had been changed on a stair lift after my father-in-law had unplugged it and let them completely discharge and I could not at the time find where he had put them.

On his death they were found, so by this time had been left flat for a year, my smart charger will not charge a battery under 7.5 volt, it assumes it's a 6 volt battery if under that voltage, so to charge it needed to cheat, and put it in parallel with another battery. I was charging in the garage so to save going to view it all the time I plugged the charger into a computer linked energy monitor so I could view from my PC.

The donor battery charged to 14.4 volt and then it dropped to 12.8 volt and stopped there, with no current being drawn, and it stayed like that for 11 days, then as if some one had flicked a switch it started to charge, and went through the whole charge sequence, and on testing the battery it seemed A1. This was repeated with the second battery, and a few others, I had one fail, clearly a shorted cell in the battery, but since the maximum charge rate was 0.8 amp this was not a problem. So 4 out of 5 batteries I had found kicking around recovered.

However the point is it took 11 days, so a battery which has been left part discharged will need to sit on the smart charger for at least a couple of weeks to ensure all the sulphur has returned into the acid, there is no fast fix.

This has been a problem with narrow boats, the domestic battery is only charged while the engine is running, which is around 7 hours per day, which is simply not long enough to ensure the battery is fully recharged, if they manage to connect to a shore supply for 24 hours, then this is often enough to get the battery fully charged again, the answer is move away from lead acid, the metal iron batteries found in some buses and milk tankers were far better, but so expensive, today we have the lithium battery, but the problem is the charge rate needs such careful monitoring and they are so expensive.

The absorbed glass mat is still a lead acid battery, but the construction stops the active material falling off the plates, the flooded battery there is an area below the plates designed to catch the active material there is a trade off, the more current one can draw the easier the active material can drop off, so we have three classes of flooded lead acid, the traction battery is designed to be deep cycled, fitted to fork lifts, golf trollies, milk floats etc. Then the leisure battery is a half way stage it holds the active material better than a vehicle start battery but not as good as the traction, but can give more amps to traction battery but not as much as a vehicle start battery, and then we have the vehicle start battery which is designed to give high amps but never to be deep cycled.

So for an engine needing a 60 Ah battery we can fit a 90 Ah leisure battery and still start engine but allow it to be used for lights etc.

When the start/stop technology came along we started seeing the AGM battery being used in vehicles, smaller versions were called VRLA which is really the same type of battery it stands for valve regulated lead acid or absorbed glass mat. These will work well with inverters as they can stand deep cycling better than the flooded type, but wife's jag has an AGM and my Kia has a flooded both 90 Ah the Jag battery costs around £200 and the Kia around £80. And to look at they seem nearly the same.

So you should be using a traction battery for your inverter, one designed for a golf trolley would be fine, but I use AGM 35 Ah for the mobility scooter, they would also be fine. But a car or wagon battery is simply not the right type. The MPPT charge controller is specially designed to charge lead acid batteries from solar and wind power generators. The input and output voltages are not the same. However you can use a simple zeror diode. Well not really a zenor it works on the avalanche effect over seem to remember 3 volt, but we tend to call them all zenor diodes.

I have a jump start unit with a 12 Ah AGM battery in it plus compressor, lamp, and inverter, I have this for emergency power, think the inverter is around 200 watt, but clearly would not last long, so the freezers and central heating are now integrated with the solar panels, and have a 3.2 kWh battery, around 50 volt. I can draw I think 3.5 kW from the battery, it is lithium type, and they cost around £1.1k not really worth it just for the UPS system, but is worth it I hope to use the solar power to the full, but that is a whole different scale to what you are doing.

That was always what I was taught, however I found 2 x 7Ah AGM (VRLA) batteries that had been changed on a stair lift after my father-in-law had unplugged it and let them completely discharge and I could not at the time find where he had put them.

On his death they were found, so by this time had been left flat for a year, my smart charger will not charge a battery under 7.5 volt, it assumes it's a 6 volt battery if under that voltage, so to charge it needed to cheat, and put it in parallel with another battery. I was charging in the garage so to save going to view it all the time I plugged the charger into a computer linked energy monitor so I could view from my PC.

Your mileage will vary, when trying to recover an over discharged lead=acid battery, it's not something I would want to rely upon, and I doubt the OP has the ability. I too have managed to reasonably successfully recover such batteries, before - those in my deceased partners disabled scooter, left switched on for months - but I would not want to rely much on their capacity, compared to new ones.

A 12 volt lead acid battery that has been over discharged to be less than 7 Volts might be recoverable in terms of terminal voltage but it's capacity is very likely to be significantly if not seriously reduced.

I have fourteen 12 V sealed lead acid batteries that are used occasionally for temporary lighting and keeping them all on individual 13.8V standby has kept them in good condition. Some 10Ah and some 7Ah

One of my 7Ah lead acids was supplying an LED emergency lamp for an event. The lamp was rated at 10 W . The event organiser was supposed to disconnect the lamp when the event closed. She didn't and in the morning it was showing a faint glimmer of light, voltage about 3~~4 volts.

For some reason I decided to try and nurse it back to be a useful battery. A constant current charge at 25 mA for several days and the terminal voltage climbed slowly back up to 13 V . Then it was put on a Standby Duty Charger at fixed 13.8 V for a few days before it's capacity was measured. Measurement showed it was only capable of supplying 1 Amp for about 2 hours before the terminal voltage fell below 12 volts.

For all intents and purposes it now behaves as a good 2 Ah battery for non critical purposes

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back