iPad (air) to TV

Adding an Apple TV would be the obvious choice. AirPlay works well. Once the tablet and the Airplay device are on the same wireless network then simply swiping up on the tablet screen opens the AirPlay window. It's then just a matter of selection where to show the tablet display.

But if your TV hasn't got a HDMI socket then you're really going to struggle I think.

If you are happy to invest in some additional hardware then you can use AirPlayer as an application as part of an XBMC install. You'll still need a host PC though and, at the least, a VGA input on the TV.

[url]http://lifehacker.com/5802958/how-to-make-your-entire-home-airplay+compatible
[/url]

That's really good info. You can use a Raspberry Pi to run XBMC...
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/114355-raspberry-pi-xbmc-starter-kit-rpi-xbmc-starterkit-pro-signal.html

Sponsored Links
You can use a Raspberry Pi to run XBMC...
There's an even easier, and potentially cheaper way, to run XMBC that doesn't involve any kit building at all.

I am currently installing Android MX TV boxes for several clients. Netflix is a feature. So too is XBMC, so that's your home stored movies, videos, pictures and music all catered for. Plus, with a little bit of fettling ;) , you get free movies, sports, BBC iPlayer and lots of other goodies too. My son and I watched the F1 motor racing film Rush in 720pHD this afternoon, then he watched a rerun of the Man City v Liverpool match in HD from Boxing Day that was originally shown on BT Sport 1HD.

I haven't bothered with trying Airplay yet. There doesn't seem much point seeing that (unlike Apple TV) these boxes directly support Youtube, iPlayer, and a whole host of other video streaming features.

Apple making the ATV3 unjailbreakable might actually be their biggest mistake and unwittingly driven faster development of alternative solutions. IOW, Apple has nailed its own coffin lid shut.

If reports from CES Las Vegas are to be believed then the next wave of smart TVs will have all this built in.

I've been thinking about getting one of the mx box's off eBay, would you recommend it? I'd want the 1 with free sport an movies

The "free" content does depend on others putting it up and on your ISP allowing the connection. However, all of the boxes can be tweaked to add additional streaming channels if you know what you're doing.

Sponsored Links
Atv 3 is good but can be very limiting at times and is not compatable with my nas.

£99 for a device that may not work for your needs. A suggestion I may add is look on a well known auction site for a airplay dongle, make sure it supports 1080p and should set you back about £15-20, you can add ios app called twonkey beam which will allow you to beam media files to any hdmi tv via your network

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back