Is a Noisy Boiler Necessaily Inefficient?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks
I 've read a lot on this forum about how to fix noisy boiler pumps. Can I ask the experts though whether a noisy boiler pump is always a problem (other than potentially being annoying). My mother lived for several years with a somwhat noisy gas-fired boiler which seemed otherwise to be perfectly reliable and efficient. She has just sold her property and the new owner is insisting that it be fixed.

I'm just trying to establish whether a noisy boiler is always an indicator of other problems or inefficiencies in a central heating system before committing to having this fixed.

Sorry, but not sure of the type of boiler. All I know is that it is at least 25 years old and is positioned behind the wall (behind a gas fire). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thats a back boiler and should not be very noisy at all!

They need servicing every year and it sounds as if she never had it servised otherwise that would have been discussed/addressed.

I have to say that I feel the same towards those who dont have boilers serviced as those who dont service their cars!

Tony

Thanks Tony. The gas fire itself was serviced recently and the pump noise mentioned to the engineer. He suggested to her that it wasn't something to be concerned about but I had my doubts. That said, it doesn't seem to have got any worse over the 5 or so years it's been occurring, but it's obviously a concern to the new owner. I know the info I've given is vague, but any idea (ballpark) what it would be to get this fixed?

Thats a back boiler and should not be very noisy at all!

They need servicing every year and it sounds as if she never had it servised otherwise that would have been discussed/addressed.

I have to say that I feel the same towards those who dont have boilers serviced as those who dont service their cars!

Tony

Depends where the pump is, we have some locally that still run on the original 40 year old pumps which have been boxed / bricked in over the years. Unlikely to cost more than 300 even in the the worst case scenario of needing to relocate the pump. I guess that if the purchasers see it as a deal breaker it needs to be done, personally I'd be trying to knock the price right down for a boiler replacement so you may be getting off lightly.

Sponsored Links
So its not the boiler but just the pump being noisy.

Pumps cost from about £60-£95 and can usually be changed in about 1/2 hour which would cost about £84 typically.

Something costing less than £200 does not seem anything to get bothered about to me. I would have changed it before the sale!

But if you do feel like arguing then you can just say that it is working fine and has made that noise for the last five years and engineers advise that its no problem to leave it running as it is.

Tony

Yes, just the pump (sorry for the confusion). Re the cost, you've answered my question. I guess that brings me round to my initial question again: does the fact that the pump itself is noisy necessarily mean that it's inefficient? If yes, I'll happily pay to have it replaced for the new owner. If not, then I'll argue "cavet emptor". £200 may not be much to you and me, but it is to my mum.

So its not the boiler but just the pump being noisy.

Pumps cost from about £60-£95 and can usually be changed in about 1/2 hour which would cost about £84 typically.

Something costing less than £200 does not seem anything to get bothered about to me. I would have changed it before the sale!

But if you do feel like arguing then you can just say that it is working fine and has made that noise for the last five years and engineers advise that its no problem to leave it running as it is.

Tony

The sale has already gone through, but the buyer has raised it as an issue within 7 days. Happy to pay if the noise does constitute a genuine problem, but if it's merely an annoyance the I'd rather not. Pump is readily accessible in a cupboard. Thanks.

Depends where the pump is, we have some locally that still run on the original 40 year old pumps which have been boxed / bricked in over the years. Unlikely to cost more than 300 even in the the worst case scenario of needing to relocate the pump. I guess that if the purchasers see it as a deal breaker it needs to be done, personally I'd be trying to knock the price right down for a boiler replacement so you may be getting off lightly.

Different concepts apply in Scotland relating to deficiencies in heating and electrical installations.

It could be argued that the pump might take perhaps 1-2% more current and so is very slightly less efficient but thats really minimal.

But remember these "arguments" are often through solicitors who only have to sneeze to charge you an extra £200 !

Tony

The sale has already gone through, but the buyer has raised it as an issue within 7 days.
Is this a new rule that you can raise queries within seven days?

Presumably the purchaser just relied on the Mortgagee's surveyor's report (which is just a valuation) and didn't bother to pay a few hundred pounds more for a proper survey.

What does your solicitor say?

In Scotland you have to raise issues strictly within seven days.

That can be a problem if you dont move in for a few weeks as might happen if decorating. The motto is to ensure everything is checked as if in occupation within the seven days.

In England there does not seem to have been any change in the actual law but just a different way that solicitors deal with enquiries before contract.

Here, if no problem has been disclosed before Contract then its assumed everything is working and the seller can be charged for non compliance with the Contract if the purchasor finds there is a problem within a "reasonable" time which is usually taken to be 2-3 weeks.

Tony

Thanks again Tony. I'm dealing with this issue directly. The solicitor has already responded twice - at no cost - to deny responsibility but the buyer is persistent. To be honest, I think the solicitor took pity on my mum because the buyer delayed the completion date three times at very late notice. Hence why we're reluctant to do anything more that we're legally required to.

The line I'm taking is that it's a 25 year old heating system that works perfectly well despite the pump noise. If the buyer didn't bother to turn it on to test prior to buying, or didn't pay for a proper survey, then that's not our problem.

Different concepts apply in Scotland relating to deficiencies in heating and electrical installations.

It could be argued that the pump might take perhaps 1-2% more current and so is very slightly less efficient but thats really minimal.

But remember these "arguments" are often through solicitors who only have to sneeze to charge you an extra £200 !

Tony

Solicitor basically responded to say its an old boiler that operates well "commensurate with its age and design" and that the buyer "is not entitled to any betterment".

The sale has already gone through, but the buyer has raised it as an issue within 7 days.
Is this a new rule that you can raise queries within seven days?

Presumably the purchaser just relied on the Mortgagee's surveyor's report (which is just a valuation) and didn't bother to pay a few hundred pounds more for a proper survey.

What does your solicitor say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back