Is an electric 8.5KW shower generally acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically the house we are in the process of buying has unfortunately had a fire and as a result the bathroom being replaced. We have been told by the builders that a 8.5KW shower is the most powerful that can be currently fitted. What I want to know is what are the chances that is will be up to the job. If it has no chance then I might as well pay for the wiring to be changed so I can get a 10.5KW shower, will that extra expense be worth it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
8.5 is a bit low IMHO upgrading to a 10.5kW may involve upgrading the cable you will have to get it checked by an electrician dont just take the builders word for it.

Its a matter of choice I suppose If you like powerfull showers then its worth it. I dont have an electric shower as such in out house, we just run a traditional chrome job off the combi boiler, really powerfull :D

SuperOxford said:
Basically the house we are in the process of buying has unfortunately had a fire and as a result the bathroom being replaced.
Has the existing cable been affected by that fire?

We have been told by the builders that a 8.5KW shower is the most powerful that can be currently fitted. What I want to know is what are the chances that is will be up to the job.
There's no doubt that in winter a 10.5kW model would be better, but many people live with 8.5kW.

If it has no chance then I might as well pay for the wiring to be changed so I can get a 10.5KW shower, will that extra expense be worth it?
That depends on the alternative ways of providing your shower, which in turn depends on what type of water heating system you already have.

Thanks for your replies

The existing cable has not been damaged but judging by the state of the house before the fire I doubt that it could cope with a 10.5KW shower unless the cable is changed.

The house has a Baxi Bermuda (i think!) boiler and as far as i can make out an electric shower is the only choice unless a shower comes directly from the taps.

How much will it usually cost to upgrade the cable and is it just a 5 minute job?!

Sponsored Links
The cost varies greatly according to location and the difficulty of the job. The time it takes to do the job varies according to difficulty, the distance from shower to CU and whether any remedial work is required - supplementary bonding, main equipotential bonding, RCD protection etc...

The builder may well know a little (or even more!) about electricity. If you have a higher rated shower, you may need fuseboard, cabling, even meter & main fuse upgrading too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back