is it a wetroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just purchased a half-finished refurb Victorian Property. Downstairs is a room which looks like it was in the process of being fitted out to be a bathroom. The floor has been newly tiled and there is a drain in the middle. Someone said it may be that it was in the process of becoming a wetroom? Are there any ways to tell :?:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it.
Why else would you put a drain in the middle of the floor?

That's what i thought. I'm new to all this buying house and doing house up buisness so a little apprehensive about stuff!!! It'll be well nice as a wet room though. I was just wondering if there was any way of checking?

Stand over the drain in the wetroom and pour of big bucket of cold water over yourself and see if it drains away. You may have to run out to the drain inspection cover outside (whilst dripping with water) to see if the water is indeed going to the drain.

Sponsored Links
I might be blonde but i aint that silly!!! I'll tip the bucket over my other half instead!! hehe. The only thing that made me quetion the fact it may not be a wet room is that the floor is on the same level as the floor directly outside the door. No step down into the room or ledge to stop any escaping water running out. As you can tell i have no idea about wet rooms!

Should be a slight fall towards the drain based on the flow rate from the shower outlet.
What are the walls clad in and how are they connecected to the floor tiles.
Pete

I would try and take one of the tiles up to try and acertain if the room has been tanked.

It may well be an intended wetroom however it might be a badly prepared intended wetroom and therefore likely to knacker the floor.

Alternatively you could do a volume test, i.e. tip a known volume of water onto the floor and then try and measure how much water goes out into the drain. If the volume's the same then the water's not soaking into/through the floor

Bon said:
Alternatively you could do a volume test, i.e. tip a known volume of water onto the floor and then try and measure how much water goes out into the drain. If the volume's the same then the water's not soaking into/through the floor
That sounds ludicrously impractical. Instead just do a soundness test - plug the drain outside and pour water into the floor drain until it reaches floor level. Leave for an hour and check that the level hasn't dropped (keeping dogs and cats out of the room).

Softus said:
Bon said:
That sounds ludicrously impractical. Instead just do a soundness test - plug the drain outside and pour water into the floor drain until it reaches floor level. Leave for an hour and check that the level hasn't dropped (keeping dogs and cats out of the room).

Fair comment although I think the use of the word ludicrously is a bit OTT. However your method is much more straightforward Softus.

Fair comment Bon.

My comment wasn't intended to be personal, but was harsh and I apologise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back