is it essential to replace 10mm piping with 15mm for new ch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, we have a 30 year old boiler and central heating system.
is it essential to change the piping (10mm copper) if we were to have a new boiler and rads installed?

thanks

Sponsored Links
depends if all the existing radiators heat up effectively. If you can afford it 15mm would be better.

just to add to the good advice above you should make sure they power wash if your keeping the 10mm

Sponsored Links
If you mean Powerflush, it is ineffective for ubore and not recommended.

Better off cleaning each rad and/or fitting a Spirovent.

Thats not always the case!

If the rads have pipe connections at opposite ends then power flushing works well on 10 mm.

Tony

Thats not always the case!

If the rads have pipe connections at opposite ends then power flushing works well on 10 mm.

Tony

I have to agree with simond, powerflushing microbore is pointless, if there is circulation x400 left in a few weeks and x800 left in for 8 hours is my preferred method and fitting a dirt sep maybe even a high head pump (15/60) if needed.

I have to agree with simond, powerflushing microbore is pointless, if there is circulation x400 left in a few weeks and x800 left in for 8 hours is my preferred method and fitting a dirt sep maybe even a high head pump (15/60) if needed.

Thats a different argument!

Its chemical treatment against power flushing!

I also agree with you that its not always necessary to power flush and similar results can usually be obtained using the system pump.

That often takes longer though!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back