is it possible to make my circuit without an IC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build this device that consists of an 2 LED's, a buzzer, infra-red sensor, and a AA battery, I need it to be small, about 7.5cm length, 2.5cm width. I want to know if I could get it working without needing a IC like a 555 timer?

Is this possible?

What I want to do is stick this finished device on the wall in a pitch black room and then wave my finger in front of the IR sensor and then I want the sensor to pick up the movement and make the 2 LED's blink several times and then stop and then repeat every few minutes. I also want a buzzer in the circuit with a button that I can press that will buzz every time the LED's blink. Then if I wave my hand again the LED's turn off and don't come on again till say 30 minutes later and this process repeats for 10 hours. Is it possible to make something like this without an IC.

I would like to set the level of brightness of the LED's, the blinking speed of the LED's, the loudness of the buzzer, the LED's blnks (such as 1 blink and then a delay of 2 seconds till the next blink and so on). Is this all possible without an IC???

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I honestly don't think that could be done without using a programmable IC of some sort.

The infra red detector alone would need a IC to give an output to a relay or whatever was going to switch the led's

Maplins have a fairly good selection of electronic gismo kits, have a look there, it's possible they may have something you could use / adapt.

way more complicated than a 555 timer..

of course it can be done as all an IC is, is a circuit on a chip.. so you could always build the equivalent circuit.. it may end up the size of a small car though.. ;)

thanks for the replies

So if you I want to do this with an IC, what IC should I go for, I was hoping I really don't want to program it if possible.

Sponsored Links
given the coplexity and sheer number of variables you want, you'll need a PIC at least..

I agree; a PIC module seems the easiest route - a bit of learning to do, but nothing too taxing.

This is a very complex requirement, with various different cycle times, different forms of trigger, different input and output devices etc.

I can't see any way of doing this without some kind of programable logic, and to try and do THAT without using ICs... well, good luck!

Incidentally, what on earth do you have in mind as a use for this gadget?

perhaps learning about pics & picbasic etc may be an idea if your learning electronics & making little projects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back