Is replacing MCB (from 16A to 32A) on cooker circuit notifiable work

Assuming that some testing was done, e.g. with the switch replacement example that would be at least functional testing, should probably include polarity, and if it's a metal switch definitely cpc continuity, then even if no "certificate" is provided, at the very least the invoice should document what was done.
Indeed, although the usual way would be to confirm polarity and cpc continuity live with a simple Zs test. (Although this would be done even if it was a Class II accessory, unless the lighting circuit had no cpc of course.) Where an RCD was installed, it would also be prudent to verify its operation. It could be recorded on the invoice or not, but the testing and verification should still take place regardless.

Sponsored Links
It could be recorded on the invoice or not
I don't think "not" is good, as it means charging for undocumented work.

But this is a digression - in the case of the OP I'm in no doubt that there were tests required, and that the results should have been documented.

The guy changed the breaker size which then changes what would be recorded on an ECR so clearly in this instance some documentation would be called for to confirm that the cable was good etc. Changing a switch, a socket, a light fitting then no but you would do the tests just to make sure you were not taking responsibility for something that was originally dangerous or defective imo

I don't agree. I think it is ludicrously over-the-top to expect certificates for replacing a light switch which the rocker popped out of ....
As I said, I'm not necessarily talking about a 'certificate' - but I do expect any work done for me (in any field) in return for my money to be documented in some way, and if the work involves 'tests', I expect that documentation to include the test results. I would regard failure to provide any documentation to be very unprofessional, and potentially 'suspect'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I bet you're popular at your local car wash.
I get an 'itemised' till receipt, which indicates the type of wash I have paid for, and on what date! If my car were damaged by the wash, you can be sure that that would be part of the 'evidence' I would present when seeking compensation.

The folk from other parts of the EU with buckets and sponges in Tesco's car park might be more difficult to extract 'documentation' from!

Kind Regards, John

Hi all.
Thanks a lot for all the replies. The cable was a 6mm2 and he did do some tests before putting the new MCB in, but I don't know which.
Do you recommend pushing for some certificate?

Thanks a lot for all the replies. The cable was a 6mm2 and he did do some tests before putting the new MCB in, but I don't know which. Do you recommend pushing for some certificate?
If it's 6mm², then it is almost certainly fine. As has been said, there should be a certificate, but whether you 'push for it' is really up to you.

People get worried about what might happen when the come to sell the house but, quite frankly, a high proportion have lost/'lost' any documentation they may (or may not) once have had by then, and it doesn't stop houses being sold! Apart from anything else, certificates relating to electrical work undertaken in previous years mean essentially nothing in terms of the state/safety of the installation at the time the house is being concerned - if potential buyers are concerned, they should commission their own inspection!

Kind Regards, John

in the case of the OP I'm in no doubt that there were tests required, and that the results should have been documented.
Indeed. I stated that it was difficult to see how this could not be considered a new circuit even though the wiring for it was existing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back