Is there actually any reason for tamper protection?

Alarm bells and telephone auto-dialing are two of the things that any thief would try and knock out first, so these should be monitored via suitable method as a matter of course, .........................
They are monitored, along with everything else, even parts you have never heard of.

These are alarm systems we are talking about, not kids toys, sheesh.

Anyone who tells you different is not a security engineer.

In answer to your original question is yes, on three occasions, at three different premises and that is all the information I'm going to give

Sponsored Links
Europlex, that is what i just said in my posts above, I know they are not kids toys, and I know what is monitored, I was and still am involved in security related bespoke panels for extra special monitoring i.e. not a simple closed loop that can be easily bypassed, my comments were just general, that more emphasis is given to bell boxes against system tampering as these can be targeted by thieves more easily as they are bolted to walls outside the premises, so if they were not wired for tamper, one could easily defeat a sounder/siren/bell and its battery. Comments were aimed at OP that tamper monitoring should be utilised and wired up even if it costs a little more time during installation, his argument or opinion was how often or do people tamper with domestic alarms, and the answer to that question is from time to time people do tamper, though the cases may be rare, but we should still wire them up.

generally yes alarm systems have been tampered with.

also given you other reasons why you should monitor the tampers. Although not necessarily related to a burglar tampering with them.

If its monitored it will get flagged if it isnt monitored it wont get flagged, so those with out tampers you would never know if they had been tampered as it would never be flagged, but what about those tamper faults that show, why did they occur, not always would be immediately obvious as tampering even if it was.

Like when a landlord took back his property when the tenant moved out, tamper showing up on the panel why?
it wasn't monitored it wouldn't have shown up.
Like after work being done, and hope the owner doesn't notice.

With Fire alarms which are checked on a weekly bases in some larger buildings with hundreds of occupants, and fire drills conducted frequently, same way burglar alarms should also be checked and tested for real break in, to see its all working properly, one should not just rely on LED lighting up on the front panel or PIR but also one should ensure that sounder comes on too, and any autodialers do their job as assigned. Including testing tamper circuits at least once a year, and checking the state of stand by battery, all batteries should have a date when first connected and changed every 5 or so years even if it has not been in much use. Checking operation on mains failure.

Sponsored Links
How on earth do you think alarm systems are tested then. Everything you have said and more is done.

Those that can not be tested to their fullest extent during the normal working day are tested out of hours, when the head office tells the manager that he HAS to organise this as it is one of his responsibilities.

I am just talking in general, so don't get agitated please. it is for others who may not know, you may well know everything.

Look at how marketing takes advantage of the general public being ignorant of the technicalities of alarm systems. Specifically look at the marketing of DIY systems using one way wireless communcations. One manufacturer of such systems advises the interference detection is turned off if there are too many false alarms.

If it's the same one I have just posted about, what surprises me is that we can't get the jamming detection to trigger with intentional jamming, yet loads of people have issues in the real world.

Yes

The problem with the siren only system is the only way the system can react to intentional jamming is to go into full alarm with the external alarm. If there is significant use of the channel by other legal users then un-intentional jamming occurs and many false alarms occur. To avoid disturbing neighbours and discrediting the systems ""reliability"" it is the manufacturer's recommendation to turn off tamper ( jamming ) detection in the siren.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back