Is there an X10 type system that will.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Father in law is about to add downlights into the soffits of his new house.
What he's asked my is there a system along the lines of X10 that can do the following:

3 Inline modules to controller the power feed to the lights (3 groups of lights), a PIR/light sensor to active the modules as well as a switch module that connects to an existing light switch to set them to temporarily on (he has brushed chrome light switches and doesn't want a regular white style switch).

I have found inline modules fine, but not the PIR/dusk-dawn nor the switch modules.

Anyone know of any system that would accomodate this??

Sponsored Links
http://www.homeautomation-direct.com/shop/X-10_MS13E_Hawkeye_RF_PIR_Motion_Sensor__MS13E_.html

Ah, didn't know about RF stuff, being looking for hardwired stuff.

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/products/X10-Wall-Dimmer-Switch.html

That's not what he wants - my previous post said it had to be a module to connect to an existing switch, not a white plastic replacement switch.

However looking elsewhere on that site it appears that a "scene controller" is what they need:
http://www.homeautomation-direct.co..._transmitter_and_Scene_controller__2269_.html

Sponsored Links
http://www.reallycleverhomes.co.uk/shop/x10-automation-control.html

Try looking yourself rather than complaining then.

Not sure where you think I'm complaining - and as I posted a link to something that does match what he needs shows I did look.

Thanks to you for your pointer, whilst it wasn't what was required it did help find what I needed where using Google had already failed.

Ahh, when I loaded your reply a line was missing, hence thinking you were moaning,

:confused:

I can't believe that people are installing new X10 systems...
It's still going strong, albeit with 21st century technology in it. The command set (if they're still using the original one) is certainly very limited, but nevertheless probably still adequate for many domestic purposes (and may well have been extended over the years).

Perhaps the amazing thing is that the system was introduced well over 40 years ago, and worked then, using what I suppose was initially 1970's technology.

Kind Regards, John.

Ah, didn't know about RF stuff, being looking for hardwired stuff.
Sensible.

Using wireless is OK until someone nearby decides to do the same thing and co-channel interference starts to mess things up.

If you are installing the power cables for the lights then it is not much more effort to either run separate cables for each group of lights to a group of simple On-Off switches or one power cable and control cables to simple relay based controllers located next to the lamps. And probably less expensive than a wireless based system.

Wireless is for systems where one or more modules have to be mobile. It is not necessary when all items are fixed in place, its only benefit then is it avoids doing the work needed to run cables.

Wireless is for systems where one or more modules have to be mobile. It is not necessary when all items are fixed in place, its only benefit then is it avoids doing the work needed to run cables.
..or when running cables would be very difficult (or, at least, very inconvenient).

IIRC, the X10 system (at least in it's original form) involved bursts of digital data modulated onto a 100 kHz (or thereabouts) carrier, with the bursts occurring around the zero-crossing times of the power waveform - so, it was a sort of RF system, albeit essential 'wired' rather than 'wireless'.

Kind Regards, John.

Perhaps the amazing thing is that the system was introduced well over 40 years ago, and worked then, using what I suppose was initially 1970's technology.
No - the amazing thing is that people are totally ignoring the fact that after over 40 years of developments and new technology there are much better systems available and are still installing X10 from scratch.

Such as?? Please add some value to this thread and enlighten us.

I asked for a system along the lines of X10 as that's the main type I'd heard of, but if there is a a better system I'd like to hear about it.

If you are installing the power cables for the lights then it is not much more effort to either run separate cables for each group of lights to a group of simple On-Off switches or one power cable and control cables to simple relay based controllers located next to the lamps.

I think it's the cabling that's the issue.
Basically, he's having an extension built to the side of the house, 1 story.
He wants the lights to run across the soffit in the extension across into the soffit of the porch. The porch has a lantern in the wall and the electrician said he would wire those into the cabling in place of the lantern using the existing switch inside the door.

Now a house nearby has similar lights in the roof soffit as well as the ground floor extension / porch activated by a PIR. Adding a PIR would be easy, but getting a cable up to the roof soffits not so easy. I suggested he ask the electrician to get a cable down inside the cavity and out into the "loft" of the porch and down to the soffits, but apparently that's a ball ache job to do putting the cost right up.

He also now wants the same lights in the soffits at the back of the house, but on a new switch downstairs. Again I suggested running inside the cavity from the roof down to the ground floor, but again was deemed a massive job. Accoridng to my F-I-L The electrician mentioned X10 to avoid the switch cabling, hence why I came on here for advice.

Maybe he should just get the spark to run in the cavities (assuming you are allowed to do this) ball ache job or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back