Is this normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a back boiler:

On initial fire-up (HW and CH set at the same times), the ignitor clicks for about 20 seconds, then the gas comes on (you can hear the gas) and it fires up.

After half an hour or so, the boiler starts cycling on and off - about every 4 minutes it will repeat the cycle of 2 minutes on and 2 off.

This cycle seems a bit frequent, IMO, but I'm not an expert - I'm used to my trusty (though ageing) worcestor 9.24e combi, which makes a constant whirring noise so you dont notice cycling.

I find the whole back boiler thing very irritating when trying to watch telly next to it :LOL:

Also, when the HW only is on, the bathroom radiator also gets hot. Interesting? :LOL: Is this allowed?

Sponsored Links
Have you got a tap stat (similar to a thermostatic rad valve) fitted on the pipe coming out of the hot water cylinder. the bathroom rad is probably a bypass for the hot water.
The boiler problem sounds like a thermost problem.
Is the pump working properly and do the downstairs rads get hot.

HI

the bathroom radiator is used as a by-pass
this is common with old system especially with BBU .
and other faults with old system are.
1.incorrect wiring
2.incorrect pipework
3.no prpoer controls

Sponsored Links
Downstairs rads get hot. All rads get hot.

Cant answer any more questions - everything is hidden lol. The pipework up the chimney breast is boxed in, and the cylinder is in the loft. The only visible part of the whole system is the timer control. Its a friends house - I've been staying there a while.

What do you mean by a bypass for the hot water? Having the bathroom rad on with the hot water makes sense in a way - you want hot water and a warm bathroom together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back