Is this the correct place to enquire about choice of taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my kitchen mixer tap because of extremely poor hot water pressure. It is quite like the one found at this link (but bought at Argos):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHEAP-PULLOUT...rden_Kitchen_SinksTaps_GL?hash=item3ef8f3c230
Ws have put up with it for a couple of years now, but since installation the cold pressure (rising main) has been fine but the hot (tank upstairs) is pitiful. I bought the current one for very little money (price is a huge consideration) and was advised it was fine for low pressure, but I have a feeling that the extra braided connector and long length of flexible hose that comprises the pull out sprayer attachment are too much for our pressure. I am just wondering if you think something like this (link below) would be any better.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SINGLE-LEVER-...rden_Kitchen_SinksTaps_GL?hash=item414e4502b6
Please don't recommend expensive taps instead - price is a big concern! I hope that someone would be able to give an opinion on whether I might experience better hot water flow with the second option or not.
Thanks!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Similar situation. I fitted one of those pull-out spray taps. I have mains cold and gravity hot. The flow from the hot was poor - it took five minutes or so fill the washing-up bowl.
Eventually ( :rolleyes: ) I replaced it with a pillar tap and the improvement was very good. Admittedly the new tap was a good quality one from John Lewis but I reckon the principle will be the same.
You could try timing how long the hot takes to fill a litre jug. Then, assuming you've got isolators, remove the pipe from the tap under the sink and check the time again with the water not going through the tap.

Did you note the part of the description highlighted in red by the seller?

If you have a traditional gravity hot water system, it is unlikely it will meet the minimum pressure requirements for either tap.

To estimate the pressure available from an open vented system, measure the vertical distance from the base of your cold storage tank (usually, but not always in the loft) to the tap outlet in metres, and divide by 10.

A typical 2 storey house with a gravity hot water system has about 0.5 Bar water pressure in the kitchen, and about 0.2 Bar in an upstairs bathroom.

Brassware designed for British vented gravity hot water systems is available. The working pressure range usually starts at about 0.1 or 0.2 Bar.
Many foreign imports and 'designer' taps are only suitable for use on higher pressure unvented systems

Sponsored Links
Did you note the part of the description highlighted in red by the seller?

If you have a traditional gravity hot water system, it is unlikely it will meet the minimum pressure requirements for either tap.

To estimate the pressure available from an open vented system, measure the vertical distance from the base of your cold storage tank (usually, but not always in the loft) to the tap outlet in metres, and divide by 10.

A typical 2 storey house with a gravity hot water system has about 0.5 Bar water pressure in the kitchen, and about 0.2 Bar in an upstairs bathroom.

Brassware designed for British vented gravity hot water systems is available. The working pressure range usually starts at about 0.1 or 0.2 Bar.
Many foreign imports and 'designer' taps are only suitable for use on higher pressure unvented systems

Aha! That's what I was wondering after I posted. I didn't know enough about Bar and such calculations to know what it is on my system. I did read the red bit on the description but I was assuming that 1 Bar was the lowest you would go!!! Thanks so much for the clarification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back