Is this wiring in the my loft safe? PICS ATTACHED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - long time voyeur of the forum, first time poster.

Have been insulating my loft tonight and been stopped in my tracks by some wiring that didn't look right/safe.

All the wiring in the loft goes to a wiring cluster which is mounted to a beam by the hatch.

This is hidden under a board on which a light switch for the loft is mounted.

I've attached some pics in the album below:

//www.diynot.com/network/ballumx/albums/4049

Is this normal? Gut feeling is to get an electrician in but thought i would see if anyone has a view on it.

Any advice would be welcome.[/url]

Sponsored Links
Your gut feeling is correct, although it is pretty normal to see wires strewn across the beams.
The terminal block should be inside an enclosure tho.
Cables should ideally be clipped away from thermal insulation, not a major issue with lightly loaded circuits such as for lights but a bigger issue for things like electric shower cables if they are wrapped in it.

doesn't it constitute and enclosure as it's got 4 sides and a top?

ok I just took a better look at the top pic.. it's not all the way over the top....

but a bit of jiggery pokery and it could be done right..

ideally I'd change it to a 6x6 adaptable box with a row of terminals on din rail and whatever jumper bars were needed..

I notice that there are no earths in that lash-up. Also where there are earth/cpc conductors they have been cut off :rolleyes:

I hope that you do not have any metal light fittings or switches fitted!

Sponsored Links
get a spark around to do a PIR on your whole installation as you dont know what other problems may be lurking, there may be some very dangerous stuff there that could cause fire or death/serious injury. Better to be safe than sorry.

VIR
VIR
VIR

Anyone else seen it? Single core, black insulation (or lack thereof for an inch section) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Second to last photo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back