Wiring in loft - safe or not?

Interesting there's a proposal to only "take account of" MIs. Perhaps someone has realised that MIs are often a complete joke, designed to cover the manufacturer's backside.

Sponsored Links
Interesting there's a proposal to only "take account of" MIs. Perhaps someone has realised that MIs are often a complete joke, designed to cover the manufacturer's backside.
Indeed, as we've discussed, if this proposal is implemented, come next year it will be possible for designers/installers to exercise much more expert judgement and discretion (and 'common sense').

As we've discussed in the past, it was always a bit ridiculous that the reqs theoretically required compliance with MIs even if they were 'wrong' (maybe even dangerous). Of course, it's not usually a question of 'wrong' but, rather, 'unnecessary' (in the expert opinion of the designer/installer) - as you say, probably there simply as an attempt at backside protection. FCUs and isolators which are, in the designer's judgement, 'unnecessary' are probably the areas which will be the first to 'benefit' from this proposed change, assuming it is enacted.

Kind Regards, John

Also, there are the instructions which are nothing to do with the product such as, for example, showers where it is the manufacturer's instruction that it must have an RCD fitted.

Whilst fitting an RCD is undoubtedly a wise thing to do it is totally unrelated to the product and should the shower be a replacement not required by the electrical regulations.

Also, there are the instructions which are nothing to do with the product such as, for example, showers where it is the manufacturer's instruction that it must have an RCD fitted. Whilst fitting an RCD is undoubtedly a wise thing to do it is totally unrelated to the product and should the shower be a replacement not required by the electrical regulations.
Indeed so. I imagine that these are all examples of manufacturers' (probably ineffectual) attempts to protect their backsides ("if the customer had complied with our instructions and fitted an RCD, the fault in our product may well have not killed the victim"!!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Evening all - thanks again for all the responses on this. Sorry I've not got back for a while - I've been working away (which makes this even more difficult to deal with!). The link to the certificate from Taylortwocities was along the same lines as the one we've had, the NICEIC link was very useful too. After posting on here last I've had a recommended electrician take a look and give us a quote to put it right. Next step is bringing it up with the builder and getting it all sorted - this won't be done by his guy!

I'll post and let you know how it ends up, but thanks again for all the helpful information and advice - what a goldmine this site is!!

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back