Is this new wiring safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have recently had my bathroom renovated by a company and as part of this work there was the installation of a new electric shower, 4 spot lights, feature LED lighting and a backlit mirror.

I've been up in the loft to have a look at the work that's been done and I'm not happy with it. I know a little about domestic electrics (can test using a multimeter, install new circuit breakers, lights, electric cookers etc) and whenever I do something myself I always ensure the job is neat, tidy and safe. In my opinion this wiring is none of the above but i wanted to gauge others opinions before I go complaining.

I've attached a few pictures. Can you please share your thoughts?

Thank you.

IMG_20170331_120938842.jpg
IMG_20170331_120920978.jpg
IMG_20170331_120912824.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that really Cat5 cable used for mains?

The whole job is a complete and utter disaster. It is so indescribably bad it does not even qualify for the term electric wiring. A blind chimpanzee with learning disabilities and no paws could do a better job.

Can we please see some more photos of the electric shower wiring as that's most likely to set your house on fire first.

Is there any certificate for the wiring and was it signed by Enid Blyton?

I would suggest not using the shower in the meantime.

I agree with you. It's terrible.

Apart from the general mess and tangles, at the very least the connections must be enclosed.

There's not even any earth continuity between all the T&E. Do you know what spotlights you have had installed and if they require an earth?

I'm going to take a guess that CAT5 cable side is 12v for the LED. But still, its not the right cable for the job. But just looking at those photos it shouldn't take a decent electrician (or competent person) long to rectify this mess with the help of a few decent connectors/junction boxes.

Sponsored Links
Did you previously have an electric shower? If you did, do you know the KW rating of both the new and old one? Did they reuse the existing shower electric cable or run a new cable? Do you know what rating Fuse/MCB is protecting it? Does it have any RCD protection?

I hadn't even noticed the cat5 cable being used... It's not mains though, it's the 12v to the LEDs. Will that be ok? I know it's completely wrong to do but I've no idea what cat5 is capable of carrying.

Here's a photo of the shower wiring going into the pull cord isolation switch. The shower is a 10.8kw Mira shower. The live cable shown is about 0.5cm including insulation. As far as I can tell it's pretty much one cable no joins from shower to this, then one cable no joins from this to the circuit breaker which says C40 on it so I'm presuming it's 40A.
IMG_20170331_134127556.jpg

That has to be one of the worst electrical jobs i have seen in a while! Get them back to do it properly and ensure they engage an electrician to do the work because i can assure you no 'electrician' did that work pictured! Personally i would attempt to agree with them that you will engage your own electrician and they will pick up the cost, i wouldn't want to let them back through the door if that was my house! I wouldn't use the electric shower either until its been checked, using a C type MCB instantly raises my concerns if this is in a domestic property.

That cable looks like its had a bit of abrasion going on in various places, I wonder what the rest of inside that dry lining box looks like. Do you know what pull cord switch they used? Also what does the installation instructions say regarding the fuse rating for the shower?

OP can you tell us if the shower circuit has any RCD protection?

Last edited:
They didn't leave the manual for the shower with me I've just realised... Found it online though.

Do you think the cable used for the shower is rated highly enough? I can't see any print on it anywhere but the live/neutral are 5mm in diameter including insulation. Not sure what rating that would be.

Here's the recommended in the manual:

Screenshot_20170331-141514.png

• Well for a start those instructions say it requires 45a and its on a 40a.
  • I would try find out what pull cord they have used as that might be underrated and cause you some issues eventually. Isolate the supply and see if you can see any markings on the back of the switch.
  • Is the shower protected by an RCD (might be sharing an RCD with other circuits) upload a photo of your consumer unit if your not sure.
  • Who knows what quality of work has been done inside your consumer unit and inside the shower
  • Its possible you have 6mm cable (which is borderline for that shower). Do you know the route it takes from shower to consumer unit? e.g. buried in plaster, running in conduit, any ceiling/wall insulation, Running alongside other electrical cables? Approximately how long is the cable? They should of really used 10mm if they didn't already.
Did they do any testing of the electrics and leave any certificate/paperwork etc..? Did they reuse your old electric shower cable or was this all new?

Last edited:
Thanks Omega,

I've literally just finished looking at the pull cord. It's rated 45A as it should be. Quite hard to see inside without undoing the wiring but looks like the earths for each cable are connected together using a connector (not on the switch) and there's something else going on with a thin earth wire in there. Don't know if that's normal.

I'm not too sure about the RCD/MCB question so I'll attach a picture in my next post.

The wiring, forgetting about the join for the pull cord, runs approx 12m - 14m up through in internal wall cavity to loft, literally just thrown across the loft to the opposite side of the house, and down internally (of an external wall) to the consumer unit.

Agreed regarding quality of work that's elsewhere... Now I'm concerned.

I have no idea in terms of testing. They will be bringing me with a certificate I'm told.

This is all brand new...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back