Is this new wiring safe?

If it's 10 milli cable you have, it'll have a stranded earth, 6 milli has a solid one.

I can't imagine Cat 6 is suitable for SELV LED lighting.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty certain it's 10mm2 cable now from measuring the cables and referring to the table posted earlier.

The cat 5 cable is being used to run a strip of LED lights, the type that you get a 20m+ roll of, that you can cut off lengths of the stuff. I'd say it's around 0.5m of the stuff in use in our bathroom. I'm estimating it's not carrying any more than 250mA at 12v.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Just to summarise, before I go back to them, my concerns are:
  • Wiring is a complete mess / untidy
  • Connections are not enclosed
  • Looks like 6mm twin and earth, should be at least 10mm for this shower and length of cable run
  • Shower should be on a 45A MCB, preferably type B
  • Why did they use cat 5 cable to power LEDs? Could this be a fire risk?
Does this cover about everything?

Thanks again.

There are exposed single core wires poking outside of the dry-line box on the shower switch.

Joining the earths in a connector block suggests the earth bar and the fixing screws of the shower switch are unearthed.

Shower pull switches require some force to pull the cord, I don't think the plasterboard ceiling will support that dry-line box for long.

Cat 5 cable can carry the current for a short strip of LEDs, but it is cutting it fine in terms of voltage drop which leads to dimmer lights and wasted electricity. For anything more than a few inches I'd use a thicker wire (I'd use a thicker wire anyway!). It shouldn't be a fire risk though, just an indication that it is a bodge job.

Sponsored Links
Had a look at the spotlights this morning and they don't appear to have any double insulated symbol. Here's some pictures. Are these ok?
IMG_20170401_122852125.jpg
IMG_20170401_122856073.jpg
IMG_20170401_122938195.jpg

Usually, with that kind of fitting, there is a metal arm that attaches to the recessed fitting to allow the terminal block to be fixed and enclosed. The terminal block is a 3 way one, not sure if this was supplied by the manufacturer, but there is normally provision to park an earth wire, even if the fitting does not require one. Incidentally, there is nothing on the fitting to say either way.

The regs demand an earth connection at every wiring point, even if not utilised. Terminal blocks, both LV and ELV should be enclosed.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
May I ask why please
C types are not generally used in domestic properties, certainly not unless the EFLI satisfies.

C types have a maximum EFLI half that of B types for comparable current values.

Eg, if a B type 10A breaker is 3.68 Ohms, a C type 10A is 1.84 Ohms.

Last edited:
Just picked up some chocboxes to remedy the terminal blocks being exposed so can sort that at least. Still not sure about the earth situation. Could it be it's not an issue since the light surrounds aren't actually part of the electrics?

It could be.

Even when these types of light do have an earth connection, it is only on the metal bracket - with only a tenuous connection to the rest of it by means of the spring coil into which the bracket clips.

Are you correcting all the work yourself then?

Were the downlights part of the job?

Did you check to see if the earth wire on the shower circuit was stranded or solid?

They're going to come see me over the weekend and discuss the issues. I just figured it's cheap and easy enough for me to put the chocboxes in the light terminal blocks.

Will check the shower earth - if memory serves me I think it was stranded.

Its a shame the electrics are poor, aside from the electrics are you pleased with the other works carried out regarding the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back