Is this new wiring safe?

Yes rocky that's the sad thing. They've done an amazing job of the bathrooms. My only complaints are the electrics and the use of cheap extractor fans.

Sponsored Links
Oh and the fact they didn't put my loft insulation back in place. Maybe that's a good thing though because I may not have picked up in this.

The bulbs are 7w LED running off of mains voltage so shouldn't generate much heat, is a cap required in that case?

Sponsored Links
Frodo, sorry for my ignorance, but what's the relevance of that? Is it ok?

Frodo, sorry for my ignorance, but what's the relevance of that? Is it ok?

The main point is that the earth should be retained up to the mains voltage light, regardless of if they need it, you seem to say only L and N were taken to the connecter.
This was approached in earlier posts addressing the issue of whether the lights were Double insulated.

Either mains or 12 volt the wire blocks should be in an enclosure, preferably the one supplied with the fittings.

The fittings are a poor choice, nowadays there are better fittings that make it easier to reinstate the insulation to Please Building Regs.

C types are not generally used in domestic properties, certainly not unless the EFLI satisfies.

C types have a maximum EFLI half that of B types for comparable current values.

Eg, if a B type 10A breaker is 3.68 Ohms, a C type 10A is 1.84 Ohms.

Yes, but if EFLI is ok then why would Dannboi be concerned about this, are you suggesting that domestic EFLI readings are more likely to be unsuitable than a Non domestic envirement and 0.60 ohms for a C40 not acheivable

Ban-all-sheds seems to be our clued up resident expert on Building regs regarding Downlights, worth having a scan few a few previous posts.
No doubt hes enjoying a glass of wine and will be along later.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/search/11465147/?q=part+l&o=relevance&c[user][0]=3777

Basically I think Part C as well as Part L is relevant its a lot to do with condensation etc forming in the loft.

So just had a conversation with the electrician.

There was apparently some miscommunication. He thought his brother and enclosed all the connections and vice versa (there were two of them). They'll come out to sort it, and also tidy up the wiring.

I mentioned the circuit breaker being under rated. He said it's not a problem because it shouldn't be reaching that sort of current anyway for a 9.5kW shower. I told him it's actually a 10.8kW shower... "Oh right, is it, so do you want that circuit breaker changed then?" I told him yes, and that I'd confirm what I type should be put in.

Is it a B45 MCB I'm after then?

So just had a conversation with the electrician.

There was apparently some miscommunication. He thought his brother and enclosed all the connections and vice versa (there were two of them). They'll come out to sort it, and also tidy up the wiring.

I mentioned the circuit breaker being under rated. He said it's not a problem because it shouldn't be reaching that sort of current anyway for a 9.5kW shower. I told him it's actually a 10.8kW shower... "Oh right, is it, so do you want that circuit breaker changed then?" I told him yes, and that I'd confirm what I type should be put in.

Is it a B45 MCB I'm after then?

The circuit breaker value will be what the electrician calculates it to be, along with the cable size. The electrician is the one signing the design certificate, not you.

So is the electrician's brother also an electrician?

Hopefully his calculations will arrive at a 45A MCB ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back