Loft dead socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone! :)

I've got a little problem which I think requires a simple solution, however I need your help due to my little electrics knowledge. Basically my loft is all wired up, there is light socket (working) and also a regular socket which is not working- no electricity in the wire (picture 4). Also there is like a wire reel which goes down from the loft's floor. All the wiring upstairs is behind this wooden wall (pic. 3). So the question is why the socket might be dead and how would get on with fixing it :)? Also I attach a little diagram which might help:

PIC 1
PIC 2
PIC 3
PIC 4

Sponsored Links
I've got a little problem which I think requires a simple solution
call an electrician would be the simplest solution.
The socket is dead because it has not been connected up to a supply, to power it up you need to do that.
You can spur the socket providing there is a suitable socket to do this.

The light socket would not normally be connected to the regular socket like in your diagram. To find the fault you will have to do some tracing work to find where the wire from the socket leads to and reconnect it.

Indeed. The lighting circuit is for, well, lighting. It will have a 6amp fuse protecting it.

You cannot expect to connect a 13amp double socket and use that for general use. It may be enough to fire up a TV amplifier, or a bathroom fan but that's yer lot.

Any more than that and the fuse will trip and your house will be plunged into darkness.

Sponsored Links
To find the fault you will have to do some tracing work to find where the wire from the socket leads to and reconnect it.
I doubt there is a fault, I would guess it's never been made live and looks like it's been like that for awhile!

Did you buy the house in this condition?

Yup it was like this when I first moved in..

The light socket would not normally be connected to the regular socket like in your diagram. To find the fault you will have to do some tracing work to find where the wire from the socket leads to and reconnect it.

So I guess the only way would be to actually dismantle the wall and see whats there, whether its faulty or never was connected in the first place?

Did you buy the house in this condition?

Yup it was like this when I first moved in..
which was when?

So I guess the only way would be to actually dismantle the wall and see whats there, whether its faulty or never was connected in the first place?
No, some testing of continuity of the circuits would be helpful!
If the reel of cable has not been cut and that cable leads to loft, I would start there :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back