Is this work notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

As mentioned in a previous post, my house recently had the electrics signed off to 16th edition.

Question is, (and Im not trying to fuel a debate here!), is the creation of a spur from an existing upstairs ring to power a shower pump in the loft notifiable? If it isn't notifiable, could I have the FCU in the loft adjacent to the pump in the loft as opposed to in a bedroom?

It is my understanding that the pump does not come fitted with a plug. Perhaps I could fit a plug and have no FCU with a socket adjacent to the pump in the loft if this helps?

Thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
You can spur from an existing circuit and provide a socket in the loft. This circuit would need to be RCD protected in your consumer unit, which as you say it was done to the 16th, it should be.

No notification required. Although if it was a company doing this, they would do the required testing, and would be checking the main bonding etc, and providing a MWC.

thanks for your response, what are your thoughts about positioning the FCU. I assume it would provide the most robust protection when placed close to the socket the spur is off, trouble is this means an unsightly FCU in a bedroom. I could fit a plug to the pump with a single gang socket in the loft or an FCU in the loft close to the pump?

No reason for the FCU to be next to the socket, but if you did want to put it there, you could then put a 20A DP switch in the loft next to the pump for maintenance use etc - I wouldn't put a plug on the pump, it would just encourage someone in the loft to unplug it to use the socket for something else, then forget to plug it back in...

Sponsored Links
So am I right in saying that a spur off the back of a double gang socket in a bedroom run up into the loft with an inline fuse unit adjacent to the pump would be a good solution

Not sure what you mean by inline fuse unit - if you mean an FCU (Fused Connection Unit) then yes, that's a good solution.

One thing to make sure however is that if you are burying the cable going up to the loft in the wall, make sure it is in a safe zone (vertically above and below and horizontally across from accessories (sockets etc), plus a few others).

Although there is no need for an FCU downstairs.

Just put an FCU adjacent the pump, or a socket. No need for anything else anywhere.

This circuit would need to be RCD protected in your consumer unit, which as you say it was done to the 16th, it should be.

Should be? I think you mean "might be."

We know from a previous post that the upstairs ring in this case does happen to have RCD protection, but there was certainly no requirement for that in the 16th edition.

As for the spur for the pump, have you thought about the possibility that there might be a circuit already running in the attic which would prove suitable, and easier than dropping a cable down the bedroom wall?

We know from a previous post that the upstairs ring in this case does happen to have RCD protection, but there was certainly no requirement for that in the 16th edition.

Really? :confused:

yes really..

it was rather vague..

"sockets outlets which may reasonably be expected to supply item of outdoor equipment..."
which many sparkies took to mean the downstairs sockets as you can run an extension lead through a window to the lawnmower etc..
other took the line that it only applied to the socket outlet nearest the front and rear doors.. which amounts to the same thing in the end since you protect the whole circuit anyway unless you put in individual RCD sockets..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back