Why is fitting a FCU notifiable?

I agree a simple plug would be ideal, but I wouldn't be able to wire both seperate cables into 1 plug without using the FCU first in my mind? I wouldnt want to plug both cables seperately into a socket for the reason I said before regards independent fuses.

Hence my question of putting a plug on the FCU.

Cheers

It is no harder to wire two cables into a plug than into an FCU.

How about a picture of this FCU?

Sponsored Links
It's just a standard unswitched fused spur supplied with these. The fan is connected with a 24V PSU which is a brick mid way along a 2 core flex, the heater is just L, N, E terminals on a control PCB inside an adaptable box where you wire in your own flex. The whole lot is around 500W maximum so a 3A fuse is needed.

The heater has a thermal cutout, and a thermistor in the duct allows the controller to regulate the heat by pulsing the heater on and off as needed. It is more off than on unless the temperature dial is cranked right up to maximum.

Just wire the fan PSU flex into the heater controller along with a 3 core flex (to save jamming 2 flexes in a 13A plug), and connect the other end of the 3 core flex to a 13A plug with a 3A fuse if you are plugging it in rather than hard wiring it. Then set all the settings, carefully following the manufacturers instructions.

Installation manual
Electrics are section 7 - and there's nothing "special" about the fused spur or the connections. Just a cable for the heater and a cable for the fan PSU.

Sponsored Links
I never worked out why the 2 parts are separately wired on the drimaster, when the flatmaster has both parts wired together internally.

Thanks freddo. Perfect solution. Glad I decided to use this forum.

I never worked out why the 2 parts are separately wired on the drimaster ...
I suspect it's in the name of "cost reduction".
From memory, the other unit you mention is a single unit designed to go where it can be seen - therefore worth making the effort to "box it up". This one though is designed to go where it won't be seen, and the heater is optional, so they can get away with leaving it as a kit of parts.
Just using the inline PSU means the fan assembly is a low voltage item and that makes design and certification a lot easier - designing and certifying the mains voltage bit is an SEP (someone else's problem).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back