Issue with cold water tank in loft - repeat plumber visit

Hi all

I had water coming through the bedroom ceiling on Tuesday night, and the plumber came on Wednesday.

The simple issue is above.

You had water coming through the ceiling and you called the plumber out to fix it.

He didn't or hasn't.

At best pay his labour but not another call-out chatge

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I had water coming through the bedroom ceiling on Tuesday night, and the plumber came on Wednesday.

The simple issue is above.

You had water coming through the ceiling and you called the plumber out to fix it.

He didn't or hasn't.

At best pay his labour but not another call-out chatge
Yes, I agree with you, although technically, if you're going to be that specific about it, he did fix the issue of the water coming through the ceiling! Just that now the water goes out into the garden instead.... :confused:

No he didn't, he just diverted it to outside.

Sorry the mans either as thick as two short planks or taking you for a mug.

Sponsored Links
I'm at work at the moment, the plumber is due to come round later this afternoon so I wasn't planning to go back until shortly before that.

So did he come?

What did he do?

What did he charge?

Tony

I am not a plumber.
I am not even that competent at DIY.
I however would have known that fixing the overflow pipe back on was not sufficient to effect a repair and hazard a guess that even I would have correctly fixed this problem in one visit.
I'd buy a DIY manual and do it yourself next time.

I'm sorry for not updating you guys earlier.

Well, in the end, nobody came at all. I couldn't get through to the plumber, and when I texted him, he finally replied on Saturday afternoon saying sorry he was camping but he was surprised his guy hadn't come by on Friday.

I haven't got back in touch with him today, but I probably ought to. That said I haven't noticed any overflow from the tank over the weekend.

I did have a quick look in the tank, and the ball seemed to be more or less doing its job - when I pushed it down the water came in, and when I pulled it up it stopped (apart from some dripping - not sure if that is significant). I guess the static level was quite high, it was almost covering the overflow pipe already.

I'm going on holiday for a few weeks on Wednesday so presumably I should still get this looked at?

Thanks again.

henryjones,

Yes I would suggest you still get it looked at.

If the fill level is encroaching on the overflow outlet then it is set too high or there is an issue with the incoming inlet valve.

Also, I note you say that the inlet valve still drips when closed (by raising the rod/float) That also possibly indicates an issue with the inlet valve.

Over time (and not a very long time!) those drips can add up and will cause the water level to rise and discharge water via the overflow outlet.

Whilst that is why the overflow is there, it should not be the norm and constant discharge from the overflow can have other consequences (e.g. issues with outside brickwork)

You probably won't notice the overflow discharge whilst the house is in regular use because the tank is being emptied and filled.

I would get it checked by a PROPER plumber BEFORE you hols....

Just IMHO of course

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back