Its a mystery !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted last week about "hunt the PUMP."

Anyway, to summarise, I have an "old" glow worm floor standing (cast iron" boiler. It is fully pumped etc. THe problem was as follows;

1/ When I moved in 4 months ago the wall thermostat had no effect on the temp. When heating was on, the place just went tropical.

2/ Now the cold whether is here I have recently tried again. But no heating. Lots of HW but no heating.

So to try to rectify a "friend" has done the following in the last week.
1/ Fit a new wall thermodstat.
2/ Fit a new motor to the value (near the pump)(which works)

Anyway, after the above was done, the heating worked fine for Friday night. However, since then has stopped!

So, its not the pump or the valve or the thermostat. What is it?
The friend who "fixed" it seem to think the wiring between the therm and boiler was crap and siad that I would only get heating because I had HW switched on!

As last night was freezing, I really need this sorting. Has anyone any suggestions.
If not does anyone know a good plumber in the Bury area?

I have BG coming on Thursday to do their first inspection as I have recently joined there Homecare plan. Howevr, I think they will charge an arm and a leg to get the heating working before I am covered!

Dear Jim please fix it for me..................

cheers chaps

Sponsored Links
Yes , the lever on the valve was moved and the rads heated up. However all was cold the following morning? A new motor was fixed so this can't be the problem!

The pump and valve were about 2 foot away from the boiler, under the floor boards and under a kitchen cupboard which I had to take out!

Thanks for your input Kevplumb.

Oh and yes, apparently its not a 3 port thingy? It's the other one?
It does have a lever on it tho'.

What position should the lever be in? (the middle?)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back