Job Interview, What Are My Weaknesses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an interview tomorrow and have covered every question that could be asked, all but the dreaded, "What are your weaknesses?"

In my CV and answers to other questions, I have talked about how confident I am, how I strive for quality of work, so I don't want to compromise any of this within my weaknesses answer.

Can anyone think of a good answer for this?

It is for the position of an apprentice plumber, starting at level 3 as I already have level 2.

I've thought of answer such as I take risks and don't think before I act, but this could be a bad answer as a plumber, foe example take a risk, flood someone's home.

I'm just really stuck and need a bit of help.

There is tons of stuff on the internet but I can't find aything Plumbing or at least Construction related.

What was your answer to this question in your construction interview, or as an interviewer what would you like to hear?

Thanks.

John.

Sponsored Links
"What are your weaknesses?"

You reply: "I'm young and inexperienced, but I'm keen to learn."

Your right be saying you should not be saying you take risk and don't think before you act.
Maybe you should consider turning this on it's head and use it another way as a weakness without the risk element.
Your at level 2 hoping to attain level 3 and experience.
So I would go with your weakness is, that you are not fully trained and you have not gained all the qualification you desire and the experience that you hope this employment will bring, and sometimes you will need guidance as you would not want to take risks that could cause hazards or mishaps.
or something of that ilk.

unfortunately the best answer is one that is not really negative but can be seen by you as a fault..
you are sometimes too much of a perfectionist with your work, wanting to do the job right the first time, you sometimes take longer than others to do the job because you like to plan it all out to avoid any possible problems rather than rush it and hit a snag that might mean re-doing half of it again..

or words to that effect.. but that unfortunately cuts into your other answers..

or there's the good old fallback of "I sometimes let the job get to me, thinking about work when I should be concentrating on family life and enjoing my time off..".

Sponsored Links
First of all thanks for your replys and input,

I have had alot of experience, I've worked for a couple of years with 2 different busineses on a regular basis so I don't think it will sound good if I say I don't have much ecperience. On their application form there was a section that said to highlight your past employment, then in brackets stated we are interested in your plumbing experience.

At the same time I don't want to give the old I am a perfectionist because I think this will be meaningless as near enough everyone will have said this as their answer.

What do you guys think about this.

"I tend to rush in at things, I could step back and plan more"

And when they ask for an example,

"When my sister recently moved into her new house, I was helping clear and neaten up their garden, and there was a little chat about cutting down the tree, and before we finished the conversation I was up the tree with a saw cutting branches off"

He'll imagine you using a skill saw and cutting your fingers off. :rolleyes:

Tell him you don't have any that you are aware of. Tell him that when you become aware of your shortcomings you work on them and strengthen them.

Tell him your pipe bending was weak so you bought a few lengths of pipe and practised all weekend. Your neighbour thought you were making a set of copper bagpipes.

"When my sister recently moved into her new house, I was helping clear and neaten up their garden, and there was a little chat about cutting down the tree, and before we finished the conversation I was up the tree with a saw cutting branches off"
Makes you sound reckless.

You could try saying that sometimes you used to try to understand why something works too much instead of just getting stuck in and getting on with it, whereas now you understand that hindsight comes from the benefit of experience. And that's why you really like working alongside and learning from timeserved professionals.

By saying this, apart form paying them a compliment, you are adding that you learn from your mistakes, and recognise that you have some

I once failed at 3rd interview when I said "I used to have a tendency to... but I recognise that so now I always take care not to..."

when I phoned the director and asked why I didn't get the job he told me "because you said you had a tendency to...."

:rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

you could always try " I'm insecure about my abilities so much so that I asked a forum full of strangers for advice on how best to answer this question.. " :) :LOL: :evil:

One way is to use one of your strengths as a weakness IE. "My biggest weakness is trying to do a perfect job. Instead of rushing a job and doing it in 1/2 hr I'd take 45 mins to do a perfect job." Or. "My biggest weakness is always asking questions off more experienced people."

Turn a weakness into a strength. ;) ;) ;)

My weaknesses are shagging sheep and forgetting where I left my blow up doll.

they are hoping there is a serious chance that some people will be stupid enough to say "poor timekeeping" "laziness" "dishonesty" "fighting with my colleagues" or "heavy drinking"

I reckon it's a stupid question.

Sponsored Links
Back